Another satisfied NEX6 user

The NEX-6 is a great little camera. I'm happy with mine so far. Have fun with it.

P.S. Watch out for dust on the sensor, though. Sony's built-in dust removal system is very efficient, but -- as with most mirrorless cameras -- it's easy to get blobs on the sensor when changing lenses. I had an unexpected QC failure last month due to a spot I had missed.

P.S. Watch out for dust on the sensor, though. Sony's built-in dust removal system is very efficient, but -- as with most mirrorless cameras -- it's easy to get blobs on the sensor when changing lenses. I had an unexpected QC failure last month due to a spot I had missed.

I've had blobs a-plenty on my 5D2 for several years now so I'm well practised at spotting them!

Alan

I've had blobs a-plenty on my 5D2 for several years now so I'm well practised at spotting them!

Alan

NEX 6 relatively blob free in my experience, certainly compared to Canon 5DII. Still need to check for dust, but much less hassle than DSLR.

Try using some antique glass, blows the kit lens, which is not diabolical,  out of the water.

Alan

NEX 6 relatively blob free in my experience, certainly compared to Canon 5DII. Still need to check for dust, but much less hassle than DSLR.

Try using some antique glass, blows the kit lens, which is not diabolical,  out of the water.

Yes, mirrorless cameras are definitely much easier to clean than conventional DSLRs.

Like an idiot, I sold most of my antique glass. Who'd a thought something like the NEX system would come along.

Overall the NEX 6 is great, my concern lies with its replacement.

I want another crop frame camera, not full frame, but I don't want a poorer viewfinder nor to lose the two axis level indicator as fitted to the 6. The A6000 is therefore a step in the wrong direction for me.

While my old Pentax and Olympus lenses look great on crop frame, I'm pretty sure that they will show their age on FF, while, for stock shooting the greater depth of field of the smaller sensor is a bonus. Using an old 28mm lens on the NEX at f8, you have to be pretty dumb to avoid getting the subject spot on sharp, while the effective focal length of 42 mm is great for street work. I have also re-discovered the joy of focusing according to an accurate distance scale, what a great idea.......

Currently looking covetously at Fuji and Olympus who seem to have identified that there are people around who want a quality crop frame camera with easily accessed controls and an excellent EVF. 

There's loads of mileage in the NEX 6 yet, and at the current price a real bargain.  I do enjoy using it, but I hope that Sony will produce a worthy upgrade in the not too distant future.

Until I recently bought a Sony RX10, I was using my NEX-6 with the 24 f/1.8 (36mm view) for most of my shooting. I did this for over a year. This worked for me far better than you might think. So why did I buy the RX10? I needed a quality zoom for my NEX-6 and Sony kept dragging their feet with all their NEX lenses. Another thing that bothers me about the NEX line is that many of their lenses are too big for their small bodies. As I've said before, it's as if they have two companies at Sony working at cross purposes. After I bought my RX10 (which I love), sony has finally come out with some very good optics for NEX. 

Overall the NEX 6 is great, my concern lies with its replacement.

I want another crop frame camera, not full frame, but I don't want a poorer viewfinder nor to lose the two axis level indicator as fitted to the 6. The A6000 is therefore a step in the wrong direction for me.

While my old Pentax and Olympus lenses look great on crop frame, I'm pretty sure that they will show their age on FF, while, for stock shooting the greater depth of field of the smaller sensor is a bonus. Using an old 28mm lens on the NEX at f8, you have to be pretty dumb to avoid getting the subject spot on sharp, while the effective focal length of 42 mm is great for street work. I have also re-discovered the joy of focusing according to an accurate distance scale, what a great idea.......

Currently looking covetously at Fuji and Olympus who seem to have identified that there are people around who want a quality crop frame camera with easily accessed controls and an excellent EVF. 

There's loads of mileage in the NEX 6 yet, and at the current price a real bargain.  I do enjoy using it, but I hope that Sony will produce a worthy upgrade in the not too distant future.

You probably won't have to wait long. Knowing Sony, they should have a replacement for the a6000 ready any minute now. The problem is, as Ed pointed out, that Sony is a schizoid company. They tend to upgrade and downgrade at the same time, so you never know what to expect.

The NEX-6 seems to be an exception to the rule in that it's quite a complete little package. I can't think of much that I would change about it for my purposes. I think the NEX system reached its "sweet spot" with the NEX-6. I'll be using mine for a long time to come.

The NEX-6 seems to be an exception to the rule in that it's quite a complete little package. I can't think of much that I would change about it for my purposes. I think the NEX system reached its "sweet spot" with the NEX-6. I'll be using mine for a long time to come.

I'm even more impressed with it now that I've used RAWs. My first batch came out of the camera as JPEGs because I didn't realise I had the wrong settings. I mentioned on my blog that I didn't think the pics looked quite as crisp as those from my old Canon 40D, but now I've seen what RAW can do on the Sony I've changed my mind.

As for lenses, the 16-50 looks perfectly good enough for my purposes. I don't plan to build a system round the NEX6 - I have the 5D2 for that - so as a complete solution in itself it seems to fit the bill admirably. With a camera I can take anywhere I might even achieve my target of 4k pics online by the end of the year.

Alan

Archived