Newspaper Scheme

KWheal

Hi Alamy

I remember some time ago james mentioned in one of his blogs that one "regret" was the newspaper scheme and its not something that would be repeated (not his exact words but along those lines if I remember correctly.)

May I ask

a) How long those current contracts have to run

and

b )When they expire do you have anything in place to improve them for both Alamy and Photographer.

If the contracts do come up for renewal may I ask/suggest that it does not include self billing but if it does then could a penalty be put in place so that if a photo is used (or re-used) without being reported within a time frame that the newspaper involved is billed directly for that image at the calculator rate (or more). As the current scheme stands at the moment I believe each newspaper pays a fixed month each month, so correct reporting is not important to them as they pay the same whatever. Alamy also gets their full cut but the photographers dip out.

I am one of many on this forum that reverse google image search all their images from time to time and I can guarantee that I find some that have not been reported either for the first time or a re-use every time. If I find these images every time it beggars belief how many images go unreported across the 1000's of photographers here, especially as I suspect the majority do not go through their images on google

If a financial penalty was put in place then the money men at these newspapers would soon be on top of the picture editors to report properly.

Regards

Kevin Wheal

I hope nobody gets the impression that if they aren't in the newspaper scheme they won't get any newspaper sales. I have never joined but still sell to the papers. How the numbers and fees would differ if I did.........?

I also agree with the above however the end result could be fewer sales but higher fees or in the worst case scenario

no sales and no fees as the newspapers could just switch to other agencies.

I would like Alamy to broker a deal that achieves a balance for all parties, and still give us the option to opt in or out.

Regards

Craig 

Yes they could but should alamy keep pandering to the newspapers for fear of losing their business. Even james admitted a mistake was made. I personally am fed up with finding a certain 2 million circulation newspaper who pay $6 cant be bothered to monitor and correctly report their usage as shoddy reporting does not affect the amount they pay per month. If certain publications went elsewhere then there would still be images required that would only be on alamy and so they would have to pay a proper fee.

However my OP is not about fees, its about an exisitng contract that allows publications to use images without declaring them and getting no financial penalty thus no incentive to report correctly

Kevin

no sales and no fees as the newspapers could just switch to other agencies.

Regards

Craig 

Archived