Can't attain 24 MB with my Canon 30D files

I just signed up and am trying to get my 4 sample shots for QC.

I have no problem with my Canon 5D3 file but the 3 others were from my older Canon 30D 8.2 megapixel camera. I shoot only RAW.  

I do my RAW processing in Lightroom 5.2, and then transfer to Photoshop as a 16 BIT TIFF file.They are around 46 MB files. 

But when I convert to 8 BIT prior to saving as a Jpg, the size is halved to less than 24 MB (usually around 23 MB).

I am exporting to PS CS4 as TIFF, Uncompressed, ProPhotoRGB and 16 Bit with Resolution = 240 pixels/inch

Surely I should be able to use 30D files as it is on the list of accepted cameras. What am I doing wrong?

Is the 24 MB requirement just with the QC trial shots?

Or should I abandon the 30D files and just submit four 5D3 files?

24mb is file minimum for all 'regular' files, not just the QC trial.

Just upsize the files using Bicubic smoother till you get to a touch over 24mb - My old 20D files were, IIRC, 23.7mb and I used to upsize by 107%.

Thanks! So did you notice any loss in quality after upsizing? I did it with a moderately cropped shot and to my eyes it doesn't look as nice upsized using Bicubic smoother.

I guess I'll only be able to submit slightly cropped images....

Thanks! So did you notice any loss in quality after upsizing? I did it with a moderately cropped shot and to my eyes it doesn't look as nice upsized using Bicubic smoother.

I guess I'll only be able to submit slightly cropped images....

Yup, I started with a 20D and did mega upsizing, but loads of folk were doing the same thing then. Today I suspect most people upload without any upsizing and the feeling is that QC has become stricter, so I would "gan canny" as they say in this part of the world, and do as you suggest, just enough to reach the 24 lower limit. 

I would be interested to learn if others are regularly upsizing these days, I know that we have been advised that it wasn't necessary if the files hit the size, so  I don't.

I believe upsizing to the once required 50mb did cause some softness, especially with the smaller mp cameras.  But everyone was doing it, so Alamy took that into consideration.

Not that long ago (a few years?) they changed their requirements, and also become much stricter on QC.  Files that once passed easily aren't passing quite so easily now.  All you have to do is read some of the threads of the past year from photographers who have uploaded thousands of images over years without a fail are having some fails now.

So be forewarned, and good luck!

I believe upsizing to the once required 50mb did cause some softness, especially with the smaller mp cameras.  But everyone was doing it, so Alamy took that into consideration.

Not that long ago (a few years?) they changed their requirements, and also become much stricter on QC.  Files that once passed easily aren't passing quite so easily now.  All you have to do is read some of the threads of the past year from photographers who have uploaded thousands of images over years without a fail are having some fails now.

So be forewarned, and good luck!

Tell me about it... I never used to worry at all about passing QC when we used to have to upsize. Different story now.

I'm sure my old Nikon D200 produced files which have been accepted that weren't upsized.

The Nikon D200 was/is a 10MP DSLR, so it depends on when you were using it if you had to upsize your images or not for Alamy. And Betty is right. Everyone in the tech department at Time Warner Publications were totally against upsizing. And added to the required upsizing was the rule "absolutely no sharpening." It's a wonder any of us passed QC. 

I'm sure my old Nikon D200 produced files which have been accepted that weren't upsized.

The Nikon D200 was/is a 10MP DSLR, so it depends on when you were using it if you had to upsize your images or not for Alamy. And Betty is right. Everyone in the tech department at Time Warner Publications were totally against upsizing. And added to the required upsizing was the rule "absolutely no sharpening." It's a wonder any of us passed QC. 

A wonder indeed. I used to upsize to 50+ MB from a 10 MP Sony DSLR, and I was virtually failure-free.I wouldn't dare submit those images today. However, they keep making both me and Alamy some money and hopefully will continue to do so. B)

Oh well. My best shots are from trips when I only had a 30D.

That should teach me for being so late to get to the stock party or for taking 6 years to upgrade my camera. :(

I was approved for my 5D3 files. I'll have to be very selective with my 30D files. Ones with minimal cropping and ones that are extremely sharp.

Archived