G15, G16 - difference?

I'm looking for a small camera. I don't intend to replace my 5D2 system so it has to be genuinely pocketable for those times when I just can't be bothered to drag a camera bag around if I'm not travelling by car.

I thought the obvious choice was the RX100 but I tried that and didn't like it. The image quality was poor and I just can't get used to composing a picture at arms' length. So it has to have a viewfinder.

The Canon G15 and G16 are both on Alamy's approved list. They appear to have very similar specs but the G15 is quite a bit cheaper. What does the G16 offer for the extra money that isn't obvious from the spec list?

Alan

Hi Alan

If you google Canon G15 vs G16 there seem to be a number of threads on this subject. The one I looked at suggested that the G16 had better image quality and better colour depth .

Dave

Can't offer an answer to your specific question re G15/G16 comparisons, but as a long term G12 user I wouldn't classify the G-series as "pocketable" (unless you have exceptionally large pockets!). Also, you are presumably aware that the viewfinder has absolutely no info displayed and very limited field of vision (~77%). I was also disappointed when Canon stopped using an articulated screen after the G12 which, together with its excellent close-up (macro-ish) capabilities, is one of the main reasons I still often carry the camera around (in a small bag:)). Having said all that, the G-series is capable of producing some wonderful images under the right conditions and its good to see the G15/16 on the 'acceptable camera list'.

I have the G10 and have sold a number of pictures taken with it.  I bought it at a time when both the G10 and G11 were available (at similar prices): I decided that the extra resolution of the G10 outweighed the less noisy sensor of the G11, since I would rarely be taking low-light/high-ISO pictures with it, and I was not bothered about the articulating screen (which marginally added to its bulk).  The latest is not always the best for everyone: the more-or-less annual new version release sometimes gives the impression of being little more than a marketing exercise on Canon's part to tempt those who feel they always need to have the latest model - check out the features of each on dpreview.com and decide for yourself which of the features/changes are important to you, in the context of what you want from the camera and how you expect to be using it.  You will be happy with either of them, I suspect, as long as the size is not too big for your requirements.  I also echo the previous comments about the inadequacy of the viewfinder, but rarely use it anyway.  I have no plans to upgrade - the G10 will go on producing lovely pictures for a long time yet, I hope.

Graham

Thanks for your responses. It sounds as though for my purposes the enhancements offered by the G16 would not be worth the extra cost. In terms of pocketability, it's only a little larger than the RX100 and I don't mind having large pockets! What I would not want is a lens that protrudes significantly beyond the body as that would be difficult to slip into a pocket easily. The viewfinder doesn't sound great but I think it would better to have any viewfinder than none at all, and as far as I can see there isn't a pocketable camera with a better one at an affordable price that would be likely to pass QC routinely. So I think I will probably give the G15 a try unless something elses comes on the market very shortly.

Alan

Another G9 user here.  I used and still have a G2, G3 and the 9.  They are really great little cameras.  I can ski all day with my

G9.  The only thing I would say is that the G9 was not as well built as earlier models.  I've had to send my 9 into Canon several

times for repair (none of which were caused during skiing)  I've been looking at buying a refurbished G15 or a G1.  Just have

not had the time to deal with it.

All this praise from a "hard-core F mount guy"....

Archived