The China Daily newspaper wants to buy rights for an archive  (30 years) picture of mine of some schol chlildren in a boat on a canal. They are saying normal rate is RMB 200. I think should be more. Experience anyone?

RMB seems to be a popular way of referring to the Chinese currency but the official code is CNY. That's Chinese Yuan Renminbi, the last word abbreviates to RMB. go figure!

anyway, in round terms that's an offer of £21 which isn't hugely generous but not the sort of price level we seem sadly to be coming to. The Chinese currency is reckoned to be undervalued so that offer might sound a little more to your China Daily. Not far off what Alamy are charging UK newspapers, but that's a subscription rate not a one-off. By all means go for more, 2 or 3 times but bank charges are likely to gobble most of whatever you agree. If both paying and receiving banks make their usual charges there may be little left.

I note you are registered but show as a zero image portfolio

Robert

Looks to be about the going rate - worth asking for more - but as Robert says above bank charges are a nightmare - I also noted that you are registered but have no images - how did you do that ?

The China Daily newspaper wants to buy rights for an archive  (30 years) picture of mine of some schol chlildren in a boat on a canal. They are saying normal rate is RMB 200. I think should be more. Experience anyone?

You didn't include any specific usage details, so it's hard to say- Front page / inside, size, etc will make a difference; but in any case, 200 seems low.

When self-billing, I include any anticipated bank transfer charges in the invoice as an additional charge. Or ask to be paid by PayPal.

-Jason

It's China, so haggle!

In the markets first price quoted is usually up to 10 times what you can eventually get stuff for, so start with a counter offer of 2000RMB :-)

Actually, probably better to ask for a more reasonable 600RMB and be prepared to accept 400RMB. There are so many people taking photos in China, so I guess your picture is one they cannot get anywhere else, therefore they may be prepared to pay above the "going rate".

When you say "rights" do you mean they want to licence the image or buy the copywrite?

Allan

Why not just upload the image to Alamy, and let Alamy do the leg work?  For the sums your talking about, is it worth the extra effort needed to negotiate directly?

Simon

Archived