FUJI X20 - any opinions yet ?

Looking at the stats for that Camera, I would expect it to be on the suitable list, the X Trans sensors are really good due to the lack of AA filters on them. Picked up a X - Pro 1 the other day and have been testing it and the 16mp sensor is far cleaner and sharper than images I have been getting with the Nex 7. 

well, I notice its won the TIPA Best Expert Compact Camera award. Presumably that means something. 

Is it just a matter of waiting till Alamy receives some images from it and then forms an opinion ?

When the X10 came out it was put on the Unsuitable Camera list, and as the X20 has the same size/type of sensor it may well suffer the same fate.

The sensor is the same size but it is different. The new one is a X-Trans CMOS II sensor that has the AA filter removed. The DPReview shows it as being a significant improvement over the x10. The only question for me would be the 12mp size. That gives it a 4000x3000 max resolution which doesn't leave much room for cropping or downsizing to tighten up quality if sightly off. It also means it falls well below the 5000px min required by some of the other agencies I submit to.

The X-Trans sensor on the X Pro1 is nothing short of remarkable. In terms of quality it outperforms my 5dmkii, especially at higher ISO's and while the focusing maybe marginally slower than the Nex, it is a lot more accurate.

I am on the look out for a small fixed lens camera that can partner the X Pro1 and was looking at the X20 but I think the RX100 will win out in the end.

• 2 months later...

I was wondering avout the X20 but 12Mp is a bit limiting (but probably wise on a small sensor) so I might have to think Fuji X100s (ergonomics similar to my X-E1). But then an X-E1 or X-Pro with th enew 27mm pancake lens may be similar price and more flexible

Looking at the stats for that Camera, I would expect it to be on the suitable list, the X Trans sensors are really good due to the lack of AA filters on them. Picked up a X - Pro 1 the other day and have been testing it and the 16mp sensor is far cleaner and sharper than images I have been getting with the Nex 7. 

But what lens were you using on the NEX-7, Duncan? 

But what lens were you using on the NEX-7, Duncan? 

I had the 12mm voigtlander, 19mm Sigma, 24mm Zeiss, 35mm Sony, 55-210mm and 18-200. I also used a selection of Canon EF lenses with the metabones adapter and minolta lenses. Apart from the Canon 50mm though, they all were a little uncomfortable to use (no surprise really). I found some of the legacy lenses (minolta) to be very sharp and detailed.

I think the sensor in the Nex 7 was very good if paired with a high quality lens, such as the Ziess. Even then, CA and purple fringing was an issue, especially wide open. Autofocus accuracy was also hit and miss leading to quite a few SOLD images.

I have just returned from the northern Andes in Peru and the Fuji system had a really good testing there and I have to say I feel as comfortable using it as I did the 5d mkii (but without the weight :)

While processing images from the fuji with either Irident Developer or Capture one produces excellent results, the lenses of this system are the real stars of the show. Even their two zooms, 18-55 & 55-200 are extremely sharp throughout the frame. The 55-200 is everything I want from a longer zoom and compares very well to the 100-400 from Canon that I finally sold as a result.

Primes are amazingly sharp, incredibly really. I only had the 17-40L for the Canon, no primes, but the 14mm is light years ahead of that in terms of edge to edge sharpness and contrast with minimal distortion. The 35mm & 60mm are extremely good as well, the 60mm is great for studio stuff. Never experienced any issues with CA even wide open.

Fuji have just released another Firmware upgrade for the X Pro1 (and X-E1) that adds focus peaking and improves the the Autofocus a lot for all lenses. Since changing to them in April they have released about 3 upgrades with improvements and additions. Hope that continues!

The main thing is the lenses though, there isn't one of them I would change / upgrade. I am likely to add the 10-24 when it comes out later this year... and maybe others :-). Camera bodies come and go over time but I can't imagine changing the lenses at all.

I took the X Pro1 and 5 lenses to Peru and combined they were just over 2kg. In fact, the camera kit (Lee ND Grad filters etc), Capture clip harness system, Extended Grip, Sony RX100, laptop (macbook air), cables, 2x usb hard drives, cleaning equipment, chargers and batteries (5) weighed less 6kg. That is a big saving compared to the 5dmkii kit bag and easily fitted into a Samsonite laptop bag that goes under your aeroplane seat easily for security. It's like a travelling studio in a bag :-)

Long winded reply but I thought my first travelling experience maybe of use to some who want a close as possible DSLR system but a lot lighter. As with all Mirrorless systems at the moment, it will not be ideal for fast Sports action or Birds in Flight unless you have the skill-set to shoot manual through zone shooting.

Hi everybody

I'm new on this forum and please don't punish me for my poor English.

I've asked Member Services whether Fuji X20 is suitable or not. Here's the answer:

"We haven’t seen much from this camera which is why it is not on either list but it should be fine to submit with."

Hope it help you.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered the Fuji X20 to carry in my purse.Still love my Fuji X Pro-1..

I just read a review on Steve Huff's site which made me cancel my X20 order before it shipped.

He's one of the few reviewers I trust.

Archived