similar topic was posted here 

As for me, I emailed alamy regarding why I had a distributor sale to a territory "russian federation" I did not opt into, i.e., there are 7 countries I've opted into for distribution sales, and russian isn't one of them. Contributor relations emailed back after asking the distributor team. It was a complete dodge, they didn't answer why I had a sale to this territory when I never opted in.

"Our distribution team has let us know we have a backlog from this distributor as billing stopped due to the war. We’re now working with the distributor again and we have now billed the usage.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused."

I just noticed that I had one a week or so ago. I'd already opted out in distribution, so I assume this must be a direct sale? How does one tell the difference between direct & distribution sales?

Although it appears that sanctions don't cover photo sales - as far as I can tell, at a quick glace - one would expect a company with any ethical viewpoint would decide not to sell to a terrorist state that has committed numerous war crimes.
I've just emailed Alamy to ask for themt o stop selling my images to RUssia & Belarus. we'll see what happens.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GP Essex said:

I just noticed that I had one a week or so ago. I'd already opted out in distribution, so I assume this must be a direct sale? How does one tell the difference between direct & distribution sales?

Click on the "account balance" button located in the middle of the dashboard page

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sooth said:

Click on the "account balance" button located in the middle of the dashboard page

That's interesting. I have just looked at "account balance" for my last sale which was also to the Russian Federation. I have never been opted into distribution. But unlike my other sales, this one itemises a distributor commission component while all my other sales are shown as direct sales. It would be good if Alamy could explain how our images can be licensed for distribution when we have never opted into it. I'm not understanding what is happening here?

There was seemingly a similar issue a few months back - when a few of us on here had sales to China even though we had specifically excluded them from distribution. Maybe this is a similar issue reoccurring.

1 hour ago, Foreign Export said:

There was seemingly a similar issue a few months back - when a few of us on here had sales to China even though we had specifically excluded them from distribution. Maybe this is a similar issue reoccurring.

What is particularly strange in my case is I have never been opted into the Distributor Scheme at all, so I shouldn’t be getting distributor sales to any country. I have emailed contributor relations to ask why this is happening.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/07/2024 at 20:40, Martin L said:

Have you opted out?

I would have thought that would be the first thing if you are concerned about selling to Russia.

You can opt out of distributor sales to Russia, but cannot opt out of direct sales ie. to a Russian magazine that purchases direct from Alamy, as appears to have been the case with my sales.