Click through rate now showing my own clicks...

RVT

Question

So. I've been away for a while, have more or less stopped submitting images now, but a larger than normal single sale prompted me to come back and have a look at what was going on. I Did a bit of looking around, and then noticed that my "click through rate" showed the results of my own clicks on my own images. Is this a thing now? (Perhaps it was always a thing, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't). I thought our "ranking" was largely determined by this figure, which, if we can "adjust" it ourselves makes it kind of meaningless. I seem to remember in the past, being told only clicks/views by known customers/buyers were counted. As I say, I've been away from Alamy for a while, so am a bit out of the loop, but would be interested to know the details of this  change if anyone knows them? Thanks! 

Edited by RVT
correction of typo

4 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Waiting for someone to report that zooming a page 20 image went to page 1 first row.

wim

But only if using the same search term? If so that's how it's been for years. Clearing up the after-effects of this bug could be quite tricky...

Mark

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I decided my one zoom showing up was because I had gone from the search on all of Alamy ... not just looking through my own images. It shows as a zoom with the search words I used. Now I have had an appalling experience searching from the main search page. I decided on a rather general search of African Lion. First thing that happened was lots of illustrations. I saw that I had to choose photographs, not all images. Makes sense. The results were just awful. Lots of series of images taken by the same photographer at the same time. A lot of images so poor I would never have uploaded them. I decided to narrow my search to Male Lion Masai Mara. At one point I got a bunch of leopards in Tsavo. Now that was the photographers fault. He had Masai Mara in the keywords. But in the past an error like that would only show occasionally in a search. Now it is leopard after leopard after leopard. How can Alamy keep clients with results like that? Never saw one of my images. I guess I should try polar bears and sea otters since mine usually show up on page one. This is not good.

Paulette

Better results with Polar Bear and Sea Otter. Lions seem to be a mess. No wonder mine don't often sell.

African lion (all images) search works OK for me.

Mark

Oh, hooray. Looks good now. Two of mine on the first page. I decided to zoom one on the second page and another on the third. Let's see if they move at all. So glad my other experience was a glitch. Horrible results. I remember years ago before I joined Alamy I would see rhinos called hippos and some very awful images. Things really have improved.

Paulette

I tried with Grand Central Market at Grand Central Station. I only have two and they showed up next to each other on the 3rd page. The other images were not awful but lots and lots not at Grand Central Station. Still something wrong though not as bad as the lions.

Paulette

Over the past weekend (Australia) I think my own searches have started turning up in Alamy Measures - but I'm not certain. That has not been the case before, as I'm not a buyer and as I understand it, only logged in buyers are reported in the Measures results. Has anyone else seen this happening?

38 minutes ago, Kent Johnson said:

Over the past weekend (Australia) I think my own searches have started turning up in Alamy Measures - but I'm not certain. That has not been the case before, as I'm not a buyer and as I understand it, only logged in buyers are reported in the Measures results. Has anyone else seen this happening?

This is what we have been talking about. Take a look at the thread from the beginning. It's very odd.

Paulette

• Love 1

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

I tried with Grand Central Market at Grand Central Station. I only have two and they showed up next to each other on the 3rd page. The other images were not awful but lots and lots not at Grand Central Station. Still something wrong though not as bad as the lions.

Paulette

When I did this again putting quotation marks around "Grand Central Market" I got good results. I have to stop doing this. It is addictive.

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

This is what we have been talking about. Take a look at the thread from the beginning. It's very odd.

Paulette

Curiously, the servers have not updated - the new picture descriptions for nearly 4 days - something going on with the mechanics of the site for sure.

I just tried African Lion again and got lots of illustrations with the photographs a mess again. Then I tried it again a few minutes later and it is fine.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat

22 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I just tried African Lion again and got lots of illustrations with the photographs a mess again. Then I tried it again a few minutes later and it is fine.

Paulette

Sadly, this whole site is a mess.

The non-first row images I zoomed have jumped from row 5/6 to row one (where they used to be several years ago, but that probably isn't relevant). So it seems CTR is still important, and contributors can now potentially manipulate their ranking to a significant degree: exactly what the software was intended to prevent.

Hi All,

Normally only zooms are recorded when a customer is logged in. Zooms aren’t recorded if a customer’s searching whilst not logged in and later returns logs in and purchases the image, in which case a sale will be recorded but the zoom will go unrecorded.

Recently we had an IT update and this caused a glitch in the CTR logic whereby this ruling was missed, which was a known issue. This temporarily affected how zooms were being recorded, but this would not have affected ranking of your images in any way, and the issue has now been resolved.

Thanks

Sophie

• Thanks 6