Brand Boards as back drops at events

I went to the BAFTAs on Sunday but not with access and took photos from a walkway area at the South Bank over looking the red carpet and stairs leading up to the media area of the Royal Festival Hall. Most of the photos on Alamy are from photographers who were granted media access ( I didn't apply) but they come with the irritating Logo, Brand boards as back drops. I have shot at many events and with advert boards like these but frankly as photographers we surely want photos of people without the sponsors logo or at least one logo in shot not the halo of advert sponsorship we see. I know sponsorship creates income for events to happen but the overly done logo boards sure ruin photos in my view. 

Your thoughts welcome please. 

I was pleased to see Alamy used my photos and one or two other photographer's pictures without logo boards interspersed with the usual corporate Logo board shots. 

Haven't been on here in a long time but when I did  I received some great advice from some lovely photographers. 

Have a great day. 

Adrian - using Prixpics and Prixnews. 

25 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

there might be times when a little tweaking in photoshop might solve your problem. Just a little though, I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it

You should not use photoshop if these pictures are for live news.  It is a big no no.  News pictures must not be manipulated in any way.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

To my mind they are all part of the event, and in some cases help to add context. 'X at the BAFTAs' is just as likely or even more likely to licence as an image than X on their own.

On 17/05/2024 at 11:03, Robert M Estall said:

there might be times when a little tweaking in photoshop might solve your problem. Just a little though, I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it

If you submit images as news then this wouldn't be allowed .... 

On 17/05/2024 at 11:58, Robert M Estall said:

fair enough but my work and thinking are always on the long term prospects

In that case, submit as stock. News images go straight into stock. It will simply mean you need to wait 24hrs before any submitted directly to stock appear on sale.

I agree BidC. Anyway, the question is really on what we think of these Logo boards as photographers. I think they detract from the person we are taking pictures of and some even look gaudy, certainly intrusive. I wish companies would ton them down at least or allow areas to take pictures away from the advertising.