Photoshop 2024 'Save a Copy'

I have been using 'Save a Copy' for a longtime so that the image is already ready to save as a Jpeg.

Now, somehow, something has changed and when I select this the default is set to save as a Photoshop file.

Now while not a major problem this is a bit irritating and if possible I would like to revery back to the default being to save as Jpeg.

How do I achieve that?

Thanks

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I have been using 'Save a Copy' for a longtime so that the image is already ready to save as a Jpeg.

Now, somehow, something has changed and when I select this the default is set to save as a Photoshop file.

Now while not a major problem this is a bit irritating and if possible I would like to revery back to the default being to save as Jpeg.

How do I achieve that?

Thanks

I don’t think you can manually change it. The best I can tell, there seems to be a bit of AI involved that through your own repetition, puts out there what you commonly use. I think if you save something in another format besides (in your case) jpeg, then that's like putting a stick in the bicycle spoke. Anyway, that’s what I’ve found.

The best way to change it is to keep saving in jpeg, & it will eventually go back to that.

In my case, I pretty much equally save in tiff & jpeg, so I get one of those & manually change to what I want. Before saving to tiff, I always change to 8 bit. It sounds like you may be trying to save in 16 bit which will always give you the Photoshop save.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, geogphotos said:

How do I achieve that?

Thanks

Not sure if this will solve your problem or not. Check the File Legacy Save setting in Photoshop>Preferences>File handling options.

Mark

Posted (edited)

This old thread suggested that you might try to hold ALT when saving as JPG to make it default, but others reported it did not work for them.

Providing your image is not layered (including crops).

I'm on Windows and use the legacy Save As. In my case it just remembers the last active format.

Sorry if not helpful.

Edited by IKuzmin

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

It has gone back to 'normal'. Betty was right about some AI involvement picking up on my habits.

Thanks again. 

👍

• 4 weeks later...

Adobe allowed you to save as a JPEG even when a document contained elements not supported by the file format. It was up to the user to figure out what JPEG supported, or not. Then some wag decided JPEG format will be available for only supported elements, and forced user to use Save a Copy when a document contains  transparency, layers, etc, or is in 16/32bpc mode. What I did was customise my KBSC so that pressing Cmd+Shift+A opens the Save a Copy dialog box. 

Wanted to insert an image but forum software says I must upload it first! 🤣