Adobe Denoise - nutz not to use it?

24 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Thank you!

wim

Don't mention it. If you have time to do something similar with a high MP Sony, it would be intersting to see. 

That is nuts! How good the results are, can’t wait to get my new MacBook, this will resurrect older images I couldn’t denoise good enough. Thanks for sharing this, very helpful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MDM said:

Don't mention it. If you have time to do something similar with a high MP Sony, it would be intersting to see. 

My Sony has a 42 megapixel sensor and is a bit old by now. It may well be the same sensor as the D850.

I have rented the 60 megapixel Sony bodies as well, but have not gone beyond 100 or 200 ISO.

I was thinking the opposite: small sensor / low resolution could be interesting. Jeffs RX10 my RX100. Early Nikon dslrs.

We probably all have files from the dawn of digital. (Hey if someone is looking for a good book title..)

Maybe even my Canon files with horrible noise in lifted shadows - that may be a bridge too far though.

And like read out banding, that seems impossible to fix. (I'm investigating Leica Monochrom at the moment.)

wim

44 minutes ago, Normspics said:

That is nuts! How good the results are, can’t wait to get my new MacBook, this will resurrect older images I couldn’t denoise good enough. Thanks for sharing this, very helpful.

No worries. You definitely a need a decent computer to run Denoise but any of the M Macs should be fine. Edo has been using it on a first generation MacBook Air with 8GB of memory as far as I recall. 

44 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

My Sony has a 42 megapixel sensor and is a bit old by now. It may well be the same sensor as the D850.

I have rented the 60 megapixel Sony bodies as well, but have not gone beyond 100 or 200 ISO.

I was thinking the opposite: small sensor / low resolution could be interesting. Jeffs RX10 my RX100. Early Nikon dslrs.

We probably all have files from the dawn of digital. (Hey if someone is looking for a good book title..)

Maybe even my Canon files with horrible noise in lifted shadows - that may be a bridge too far though.

And like read out banding, that seems impossible to fix. (I'm investigating Leica Monochrom at the moment.)

wim

Most of my early Nikon DSLR images were shot on a tripod at low ISO as were my dawn of digital Canon 20D images. The latter were pretty horrible for noise at anything even approaching high ISO. I no longer have my RX100VA but I don't think I ever pushed it to the limits either. I think the big boon is for me is going forward, being able to shoot in relatively dark conditions, handheld with IBIS at much higher ISOs than I would ever have dreamed of before. 

So have you invested in a monochrome Leica or just investigating? 

26 minutes ago, MDM said:

No worries. You definitely a need a decent computer to run Denoise but any of the M Macs should be fine. Edo has been using it on a first generation MacBook Air with 8GB of memory as far as I recall. 

That’s good to know, I’m about to order the MacBook Pro 14 M3 and go for 24GB unified memory and a 1TB storage, then at sometime get an external monitor.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Normspics said:

That’s good to know, I’m about to order the MacBook Pro 14 M3 and go for 24GB unified memory and a 1TB storage, then at sometime get an external monitor.

Sounds good. You will find it unbelievably powerful in comparison to a 2012 model. These Macs are amazing little machines. The XDR screens are made for for HDR stills and video editing.  If I was buying now though, I would try to stretch to 32GB for future proofing, which would mean going up to M3 Pro model, but it is quite a lot more expensive. That said you should get a lot of years before 24GB is not enough unless you start editing 8K video or the like. 

Edited by MDM

53 minutes ago, MDM said:

So have you invested in a monochrome Leica or just investigating? 

Just investigating. The banding came up in the process, but was not part of the initial problem/question.

Students get a lifetime guarantee.  Most anyway. 😁

wim

Excellent. Adobe Denoise has certainly done a much better job than my old copy of Topaz Denoise 2.4.2. I took the ISO 12800 default jpg image and applied Topaz to it. I played around with the settings but couldn’t get anything as consistent as Adobe’s Denoise. When an image is this noisy my Topaz 2.4.2 seems to flip between 2 extremes. In some areas of the image the noise is completely gone, but the detail is also lost leaving a smooth waxy type appearance. In other areas Topaz interprets the noise as real detail and replaces it with false looking “structure/texture”. Adobe Denoise shows a similar effect, but it’s much more subtle and well controlled. As you know I’m a fan of Topaz, but that’s largely because I find it useful for reducing film grain in digitised images of 35mm transparencies. For control of high ISO noise I use Adobe Denoise, even though it’s a bit slow on my 2017 iMac.

If you posted the RAW of the 12800 image, then maybe others could post results they get with their preferred denoise packages? It wold be interesting to see what DXO Prime makes of it, for example, as well as the latest Topaz.

Mark

6 hours ago, MDM said:

What version of Photoshop are you using for this test is it beta?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Excellent. Adobe Denoise has certainly done a much better job than my old copy of Topaz Denoise 2.4.2. I took the ISO 12800 default jpg image and applied Topaz to it. I played around with the settings but couldn’t get anything as consistent as Adobe’s Denoise. When an image is this noisy my Topaz 2.4.2 seems to flip between 2 extremes. In some areas of the image the noise is completely gone, but the detail is also lost leaving a smooth waxy type appearance. In other areas Topaz interprets the noise as real detail and replaces it with false looking “structure/texture”. Adobe Denoise shows a similar effect, but it’s much more subtle and well controlled. As you know I’m a fan of Topaz, but that’s largely because I find it useful for reducing film grain in digitised images of 35mm transparencies. For control of high ISO noise I use Adobe Denoise, even though it’s a bit slow on my 2017 iMac.

If you posted the RAW of the 12800 image, then maybe others could post results they get with their preferred denoise packages? It wold be interesting to see what DXO Prime makes of it, for example, as well as the latest Topaz.

Mark

Will sort some raws in due course. 

Edited by MDM

27 minutes ago, Normspics said:

What version of Photoshop are you using for this test is it beta?

I used the latest version of Lightroom (13.2) which is the same as ACR (16.2). I don't know if it has changed since the full version was released last April I think. 

I've made some changes to the original upload - the raisins will become apparent on viewing. I've reshot and added ISO6400 and ISO25600 samples to the previous sets of ISO64, ISO800 and ISO12800. There is no difference in the conclusions: Denoise is amazing. The ISO25600 sample looks horrible befoew Denoising but becomes pretty acceptable especially if downsized. Because Denoise includes the Enhance function which seems to apply a very tasteful sharpening to the main subject while leaving the background alone, the loss of detail even at very high ISO is much less than one might expect. Anyway the new link is below and the previous one no longer works so I've removed it from the OP. 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/37r2ojp0a4mqot1hbzich/h?rlkey=v42p7es5xicu2f374lv7piuyj&dl=0

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 26/03/2024 at 11:55, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I have used and still use when need De Noise 6 and find it very acceptable😁

Carol

On 26/03/2024 at 11:56, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Should have said Topaz

I don't know if the Topaz denoiser can work on raw files. I used an early version about four years ago and it couldn't work on raws at that time.  Being able to denoise the raw file is of major importance in my opinion. That is a massive advantage of Adobe Denoise - it fits neatly in my workflow. I can do everything in Lightroom or ACR and finish in Photoshop if required. And it's fast. 

If you are an Adobe Photography Package subscriber, I'd recommend taking the Adobe Denoise for a test drive on a few high ISO images. The results are astonishing. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MDM said:

I don't know if the Topaz denoiser can work on raw files. I used an early version about four years ago and it couldn't work on raws at that time.  Being able to denoise the raw file is of major importance in my opinion. That is a massive advantage of Adobe Denoise - it fits neatly in my workflow. I can do everything in Lightroom or ACR and finish in Photoshop if required. And it's fast. 

If you are an Adobe Photography Package subscriber, I'd recommend taking the Adobe Denoise for a test drive on a few high ISO images. The results are astonishing. 

Many thanks, yes the Topaz Denoise 6 works on my raw files but would be interested to have a go at the Adobe Denoise though I don't use Lightroom, is there something else specific I need to download, sorry to be a pain😁

Carol

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Many thanks, yes the Topaz Denoise 6 works on my raw files but would be interested to have a go at the Adobe Denoise though I don't use Lightroom, is there something else specific I need to download, sorry to be a pain😁

Carol

If you have the Adobe package which I presume you do, you can use Denoise from Adobe Camera Raw. It's exactly the same as using it in Lightroom. 

Edited by MDM

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/03/2024 at 09:00, MDM said:

The second version has been run through Adobe Denoise at its default settings.

Default "Amount" is 25?
Do you not see pixelated edges in magnified box?
Is magnified box way over 100%?
What about Amount 70 to prevent edge artifacts?

Also, IIRC, someone in this or another Denoise thread stated

it to be their first step followed by all other processing...?
Could that defeat Denoise?  Could that potentially
introduce noise via Levels, lifting shadows, etc.?
Help, please, somebody...
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg

Posted (edited)

Despite the fact that I started this thread and I advocate anyone with the Adobe Photography Package using Denoise, I am not an expert at all. I only know what I know by experiment and I suggest you do the same - try it and see what you get. It is totally non-destructive and therefore completely harmless. Relax, experiment and enjoy. It is magic. 

Default is 50 on my computers. I only ever use it at default as that does the job perfectly on my images (45MP NIkon NEFs). I don't see pixelated edges - probably depends on the quality of the original image. The mag box seems to be a bit over 100% but not much.

Denoise uses Raw Details to sharpen what it perceives to be the subject and that can't be turned off. I suspect that increasing the Denoise amount might soften the subject but that can be left as an exercise for the reader. 

From my observations, it doesn't matter if you do some normal editing in LR/ACR. However, you shouldn't use any other AI features before Denoise (sky replacement etc). So it is fine in my experience to do your basic processing before or after using Denoise but it is easiest to use Denoise first and then work on the DNG. It resets any noise reduction you may have applied anyway so that doesn't matter. 

FInally can I reiterate Betty's request to change your avatar. That thing is really disturbing. 🤣

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

MDM & all

thanks for response, several points:
a. today my brain HIFU procedure was success, 95% of right hand tremor gone,
can now hold camera steady down to 1/30 sec, possibly even 1/20 sec, so highest
ISO going forward ~4000 CORRECTION 3200, AI Denoise still will be very useful, ISO 2000 & up...
b. any new avatar must reflect (a) success...
c. my 7-yr-old laptop with problematic GPU message DOES process AI Denoise !!
when first looking, estimate of ~26 minutes per image appeared, but upon finally
trying, 2 different images took 11 minutes & 6 minutes, the latter being OP image below...
d. I will still replace 7-yr-old laptop this year

Photoshop 2024 AI Denoise, Amount = 70 (from Sony RX10 IV DNG)
done after manual process of 2nd image below;
only possible problem is sitting woman's facial hair became "rows" of hair..?
comments? should it pass QC?

compare to my earlier manual effort, less hair detail & elsewhere:

Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 1