Building construction question

18 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Some traditional timber frame houses in the US are into their third and fourth centuries (a friend used to own one built in the 1600s in Connecticut).  British ones are into a bit longer.

This one, Wycoller Barn in Lancashire, is around 1650 but it's reckoned it used timber from an earlier cruck barn.

EXX79X.jpg

Alan

• Like 3

Check Air Tightness Regulations and air tight building in the UK in the light of current UK building code.

Is it called a code in UK English as well? Anyway it is in the US. It's probably called Building Regulations in the UK.

Maybe it's even being build to Passivhaus standards.

wim

4 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

This one, Wycoller Barn in Lancashire, is around 1650 but it's reckoned it used timber from an earlier cruck barn.

EXX79X.jpg

Alan

I believe that's the barn I saw photographed in one of the books on traditional British building traditions.    Housing traditions are interesting == and the cheap and disposable houses tended to be wattle and daub (like a hut sized basket with mud).  Indigenous people in North America and some in the tropics had similar huts.   I understand that when the fleas and other biting insects get too bad in the tropics here, they're abandoned.   That style above pre-dates Tudor timber framing which probably used (and still uses) cut timbers.  History of sawmill here, first invented in Asia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawmill

• 4 weeks later...

Here in US there is new generation of housing construction - 3D printed houses.  These are constructed with exterior and interior walls "printed" using a special concrete mixture and a "LARGE" 3D printer.

There is a cluster of these being built not far from me.

https://www.cnn.com/style/texas-3d-printed-home-icon/index.html

Edited by Phil
change link