My Photoshop Renewal Is Coming Due, Any Alternates

22 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Unless I'm much mistaken this involves another "save" of a jpeg so a loss of quality. PS and LR don't do this.

Mark, from my testing there is no loss of quality by adding tags in Explorer

It is part of my workflow and being aware of the possible degradation if JPEGs are decompressed/recompressed, I carried out a  test where I took a copy of a JPEG, added a tag in Explorer and saved it.

Repeated this 20 times

Generally opening a JPEG in PS and using 'Save As' after about 10 times and there is noticeable degradation as shown here Example 

Loaded both original file and tagged file into an image editor and set one layer to blend mode  'Difference' and they are identical, there are no different pixels.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Martin L said:

It is part of my workflow and being aware of the possible degradation if JPEGs are decompressed/recompressed, I carried out a  test where I took a copy of a JPEG, added a tag in Explorer and saved it.

I suspect that the file size hasn't changed at all either but it is right to be curious, I'm sure it's possible that certain programs might reprocess the jpeg if their implementation is incorrect. In fact you have just changed some text in the header, it's even possible to see this if you change the .jpg extension to .txt, so Windows has correctly left the image data alone.

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I suspect that the file size hasn't changed at all either but it is right to be curious, I'm sure it's possible that certain programs might reprocess the jpeg if their implementation is incorrect. In fact you have just changed some text in the header, it's even possible to see this if you change the .jpg extension to .txt, so Windows has correctly left the image data alone.

File size did go up by about 800 bytes due to the extra data (tags) added as you would expect.

In the old days probably this degradation happened in Windows although I did my tests along time ago now.

At the time I think exifTool was the recognised app for doing this without degradation so I guess the myth perpetuated.

11 hours ago, Normspics said:

Thanks!

If you happen to be using Sony cameras, Sony's free Imaging Edge software is surprisingly good for RAW conversion (and easy to use). I actually like it better than the RAW developer in Affinity. You can export processed files as 16-bit TIFS and then do tweaking in Affinity if desired.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 22/01/2024 at 11:56, Harry Harrison said:

You couldn't right at the beginning but they introduced it later on, it's in the 'File' section of the Metadata tab, and this is on Version 1 of Affiniity Photo (1.10.8), not the current Version 2. Not a patch on Lightroom for that though, though Bridge is good I think, pretty sure you can get that for free.

It is in version 2: Window Menu, Meta data. Shows as tool panel... it can import and export XMP data also for sharing/duplicating :)

• Like 1