PC freezes in Silver Efex Pro2

Following on from various recommendations for Silver Efex Pro 2, I've just downloaded the demo version. Looks very promising but I have a problem.

I launch Silver Efex Pro 2  and adjust the image. I then click on ok and the program goes back to the Elements screen with the original image showing as I would expect.

But - my PC has frozen and I need to reboot. The only active item is the cursor.  Can't find anything on Google - any suggestions please?

Win 7/ Dual Processor PC/Elements 11

Regards
John

I'd have joined you if I'd known Ed   :D

Silver Efex Pro 2 is a program for producing Black and White images.  Seems to be very capable almost allowing you to go back to the dark room days.  It can also be set to mimic the grain pattern of many of the Ilford and Kodak films ie. FP4, Tri-X etc.   http://www.google.com/nikcollection/products/silver-efex-pro/

You can do a lot of this in Photoshop but based on reviews and my demo version of  Silver Efex Pro 2 does it quicker and a lot more.

Regards

John

John how did standalone mode go? I'm never 100% sure about going into these programs from Lightroom/Elements/PS hosting. Helps if you have a good amount of RAM. It can get glitchy sometimes. This was why I was looking forward to the new iMac but that is still an ongoing issue with Apple. Should be sorted out this year.

I recently did 6 golf pictures, quite large prints, for a pro shop and I used Siver EFX Pro because they wanted B&W. Yes it's a great program provided you don't go overboard, like all these editing software packages.

I have no real idea on how this would work technically on a PC. Should be similar. It's really just to see if it's OK as a standalone, or if it's corrupting the PC in some way. If it works as a standalone, then it's definitely an Elements issue. 

Thanks Gervais. 

It doesn't appear to have a stand alone version (at least for the PC version) but I have just managed to get it working as a plug-in in Elements.

I found some guidance in the FAQs on the main site.  It seems that Sliver Efex likes to use the memory in the graphics card if possible.  However, if the graphics card is not up to the job then the program can be made to use the CPU.  A program file needs to be edited and saved.  Took me a bit of head scratching but got there in the end.

The program looks good but as you say - it needs to be used in a subtle fashion.  In most cases there will be a pre-set that will achieve the desired result.

John

I have SIlverEfex Pro that I use with Lightroom and with Photoshop (started with LR 4 and am know on LR5.3 - started with Photoshop CS 6 and am know on Photoshop CC).  I've never used it with Elements and I'm unaware of a standalone version.  I've never had an issue with my PC Freezing.

What I would try is clearing your internet cache (yes, I know it's not related but humor me on this one, I've seen it help with other stuff that I can't explain)

Then, I would run Disk Cleanup on your PC (under the accessories, system tools menu)

Then, I would run a Disk Defragmenter (under the accessories, system tools menu)

Then re-boot, then give it another shot.

Those are the steps that I would take as a first resort - I do all these as well as scan the computer for viruses every Sunday and Wednesday and it seems to keep my PC clean and running well.

All up and running now (see my earlier post - about three posts back) - thanks for all the suggestions - really appreciated.

Basically, my graphics card wasn't up to the task but there is a setting that allows the program to use the CPU's memory.  Runs a bit slower that way but fine for me.

Might consider a graphic card upgrade.

Cheers

John

Graphic card upgrades can be a good idea.

No standalone version? Well I don't understand that. I am sure I opened mine independently of any host program. In fact, I had it on the tool bar and just dropped an image into it.

I had a graphics card fail not so long ago. I thought about updating it but decided to wait for iMac issues to be ironed out and just order the best one they do for it when ordering. Ho hum.

It might be that there is a stand alone version for the MAC.  My version just downloaded as a plug in - I don't recall any option to run it as a stand alone.   It also doesn't appear in my program list in the Start menu.  It is now part of a suite of programs owned by Google so perhaps they have changed it. Just a thought.

John

Archived