Photo used on website, but I don't show the sale of it in my Contributor Dashboard

TomW

Question

I recently found one of my stock photos used on a blog website. It gave me credit, along with showing "Alamy Stock Photo" in the caption (ex: Name / Alamy Stock Photo).

However, I show no sales of this photo in my Contributor Dashboard. Is this normal? Shouldn't I see the sale of the image, before it is being used commercially?

15 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, TomW said:

I recently found one of my stock photos used on a blog website. It gave me credit, along with showing "Alamy Stock Photo" in the caption (ex: Name / Alamy Stock Photo).

However, I show no sales of this photo in my Contributor Dashboard. Is this normal? Shouldn't I see the sale of the image, before it is being used commercially?

It can take several months for the sale to appear. Take a screenshot and copy of the URL. Then if the sale hasn't appeared 3 months after publication, fill in Alamy's unauthorised use form.

Mark

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, M.Chapman said:

It can take several months for the sale to appear. Take a screenshot and copy of the URL. Then if the sale hasn't appeared 3 months after publication, fill in Alamy's unauthorised use form.

Mark

Thank you for this information, Mark. Good advice! I wasn't aware that it could take several months for the sale to appear on my dashboard. This is good to know!

19 minutes ago, TomW said:

in the past, i've been advised by alamy to wait up to 3 months for people who downloaded and used a photo to report it's use and sale to alamy before filing an infringement report. some businesses report quickly, some businesses like to drag it to the last minute, some simply forget

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sooth said:

in the past, i've been advised by alamy to wait up to 3 months for people who downloaded and used a photo to report it's use and sale to alamy before filing an infringement report. some businesses report quickly, some businesses like to drag it to the last minute, some simply forget

Thank you for sharing your experience. This is good to know! 

14 hours ago, TomW said:

I'm just chasing Alamy about their Balkan channel Profimedia, they obviously don't report sales back to Alamy, recently I manually located and reported 3 'unreported' sales.

Please don't laugh, but this is the feedback I got:

For clarity: Distribution sales in some territories like Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia etc are sometimes tricky as the end-clients dont always (or fully) report back to their local distributors, who in turn, wont report it back to us. This is a cultural "thing" that is hard to monitor.

Pav

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pav said:

I'm just chasing Alamy about their Balkan channel Profimedia, they obviously don't report sales back to Alamy, recently I manually located and reported 3 'unreported' sales.

Please don't laugh, but this is the feedback I got:

For clarity: Distribution sales in some territories like Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia etc are sometimes tricky as the end-clients dont always (or fully) report back to their local distributors, who in turn, wont report it back to us. This is a cultural "thing" that is hard to monitor.

Pav

Hmm...that doesn't sound like a good answer (nervous laugh). I received a response from Alamy saying that it could take up to 6 months for the sale to show in my account. If it doesn't by that time, then I need to let them know.

I don't personally have experience with other agencies, but I believe from what I've heard, that Alamy is somewhat unusual in that it reports invoices for images to its contributors. But if Alamy doesn't get paid, then you don't get paid and the sale 'disappears'. Some people don't like that. But it is relatively transparent. 

Other agencies only tend to report sales once the money has cleared.

Changing topic slightly, I don't understand why Alamy's website can't automatically track downloaders of images. But that's another conversation...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It can. That's why you check an unreported sale with MS first- they check for a download.

I should have been more clear. I don't understand how a company can download an image and not get automatically invoiced at the same time. Why are Alamy relying on self reporting of downloaders to invoice them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

I should have been more clear. I don't understand how a company can download an image and not get automatically invoiced at the same time. Why are Alamy relying on self reporting of downloaders to invoice them?

Because some customers download images in order to prepare articles or books which sometimes never get published. They like the download now "declare if used later" model and will pay more for it.  Customers of the "pay for every download" providers (e.g Microstock) expect rock bottom prices so that they can afford to "waste" images that never make it to print.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Because some customers download images in order to prepare articles or books which sometimes never get published. They like the download now "declare if used later" model and will pay more for it.  Customers of the "pay for every download" providers (e.g Microstock) expect rock bottom prices so that they can afford to "waste" images that never make it to print.

Mark

Of course. Thanks, good explanation.

19 hours ago, TomW said:

Is it a commercial blog or a non-commercial blog?   Social media people often take images with the belief that royalty free means free.  Academics can also have a "free for educational purposes" attitude.  Do report it, but it may just be removed without payment. 

20 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Is it a commercial blog or a non-commercial blog?   Social media people often take images with the belief that royalty free means free.  Academics can also have a "free for educational purposes" attitude.  Do report it, but it may just be removed without payment. 

It appears to be a commercial blog. I have let Depositphotos know about it.