I got this puppy in June, and she will be featured in some of my pictures.  But I would really like to have something in the keywords about her breed.

She was sold to us ostensibly as an "Australian Shepherd Mix".  I think there is a lot more of something else.  I've seen dogs that look just like her in TV shows, so she can't be that rare.  I was thinking some kind of terrier for that face, but she is so big.  She is now 65 pounds at 9 months.  Closest I can come up with is Briard.  Anyone have some thoughts on her breeding?  Thanks.

153920389.jpg

153920390.jpg

Yes, I considered the Wire Fox terrier too.  But this is a small dog (<20 lbs) and the face, ears and tail is that of an Airedale Terrier.  The latter is closer to my dog's size (<45 lbs for females), but those three features are all wrong.  If she is mixed with an Australian Shepherd (<55 lbs) you'd think she was mixed with something bigger.  The average weight of a Briard is 75 lbs, which would seem to fit.  She is likely to be 70 lbs by the time she is fully grown.

In my old hometown we called dogs of indeterminate breed a Heinz 57.

Allan

EDIT: Cute looking dog though. Bet she is a friendly girl.

Yes Allan, she is a sweet and clever dog.  However, Heinz 57 may not be a good choice as a keyword.  Mutt certainly fits.

The Wheaten terrier is a definite possibility, although generally smaller (<40 lbs), with everything but the tail a good match.  Is it possible to mix a <55 lbs Australian Shepherd with a Wheaten terrier (<40 lbs) and get a Parker (her name) at 70 lbs? 

I don't see any Australian Shepherd there (they do have miniatures now, by the way). Wheaten? Airedale? Could be partly so. But unless the mix was intentional to produce a designer breed, it's hard to guess what breeds are involved; the mom and dad could both be mixed. Does she shed hair? The point of Cockapoos or Labradoodles is to introduce the none-shedding poodle. 

She's a pretty dog and looks both smart and healthy; mixed dogs are usually healthier than breeds. I would just caption her as a "mixed breed." She should be a good friend for many years to come. 

70 pounds? You think? She does look like she's gonna be that big. A German Shephed is only 75 to 80 pounds.

Very sensible advice Ed, thanks.

The ad said Australian Shepherd. But I agree, I don't see much evidence of that, so I will not mention it.  She does have a double coat, but she sheds very little.  It's just that some of those pictures of Wheatens and Briard mixes look just like her. 

She is 65 lbs now, so I figure another 5 lbs easy.

65 lbs now! Wow. That's a lovely big dog. I have three Australian Shepherds in my hood, one is a mini. They all have that multi colored coat and blue eyes. Now Parker's back half does look like a Shepard, but her head and eyes, no. 

Doggos is best. 

Good tip Philippe.  Although I often add the dog to a landscape shot which needs to be higher, and I occasionally shoot down to avoid busy backgrounds (although yours are nice and blurred).

Ed, I agree about the back end - about the only thing Shepherd-like is the tail.  What does "Doggos" mean?  Is that like mongrel?

No no no, not mongrel. That's like using the N word.  Doggo (one) or doggos (more than one) is an affectionate term like doggie. (Okay, I made it up. :huh: .) Typically the shepherd's back legs are shorter than the front legs, like a male tiger, but Parker's are as long or longer. I agree that's a very shepherd-like tail she has.  

The Airdale Sheltie mix in that link looks very close.

Though when I was growing up we had shelties and they are not very large dogs.  Maybe she gets her size from the Airdale side?

If it matters greatly, I know that there are companies that do DNA testing on dogs.  I think they charge about $50 USD if you send in a cheek swab.

I have a mut myself.  The shelter said he was a Catahoula Leopard (which is a hound...but he doesn't have a bit of hound in him).  I think he is at least half black lab.  I'm thinking maybe American Bulldog or Boxer for the other half but I don't know.  Honestly, he's a sweet dog and it doesn't really matter to me.

Here's a video...he likes his rope :)

http://vimeo.com/78386535

Had another look at your photos of Parker and in view of Eds' comment above about leg length I think there could be a bit of Lurcher in there, possibly, maybe, I don't know.

Allan

Thanks for that video Ed - I could see it only in full-screen.  Our Parker plays the same game, but if people are around she mostly wants us to pull the thing for a tug of war.

I considered the DNA testing, but most people are quite skeptical.  My Vet said he had a giant dog that came back a quarter Chiwawa.  I'm also told that many breeds (like a Briard) are not even tested.

Archived