Please give me your critique!

Mltz

• 2 months later...
On 08/10/2023 at 05:50, Chuck Nacke said:

Mltz,  Making and processing the images is only part of the process.  Finding and including well written, concise information is as important as the image.  I would suggest that you buy a copy of Strunk and White's 'Elements of Style' as a start and also look at other people's images and caption or IPTC information.  

I would also agree with Ian's comments.

Chuck

I couldn't disagree more. The text simply accompanies the photograph and serves as a frame of reference for the person buying the photo to orient themselves and find where the photograph was taken. This is not a literature contest, and I don't believe that a photograph is ever chosen because of the good writing of a text.

On 16/12/2023 at 17:43, Mltz said:

I couldn't disagree more. The text simply accompanies the photograph and serves as a frame of reference for the person buying the photo to orient themselves and find where the photograph was taken. This is not a literature contest, and I don't believe that a photograph is ever chosen because of the good writing of a text.

I think what chuck means, he is not talking about writing poetry, but more about writing everything that is relevant about the photo so buyers can find it.  A photo can't be seen without words first describing it well.  I see some people write something like, "A beautiful colourful beach at the sea with a pretty woman".  There is relatively little information in that sentence, that will help a buyer look for a particular image.  So yes, accurate words are what drives buyers to one's photos.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Like 6

On 16/12/2023 at 22:43, Mltz said:

Clients do not find your image using the Alamy search engine by what the image looks like. Search results are returned based on the caption and keywording (as well as your ranking). You can have the best image ever for a particular subject, but if it is poorly keyworded / captioned, no one will ever find it.

• Love 2
  • Like 5

On 16/12/2023 at 17:43, Mltz said:

No Mltz,  I never said that photos were licensed based on the literary quality of the text accompanying them.  It is obvious that you have never read 'Elements of Style' it is not about prose.   I do have a degree in journalism, don't hold that against me, but I try to keep it short, accurate and informative.  The IPTC information is only to help image editors, the people that license images from stock agencies, find the image that illustrates their story.

Chuck

• Like 6