Single candid portraits at events

Looking for guidance from more experienced people shooters here.

As I said many times, photographing people is not my forte. I recently attended a colourful 4 day bush races event where, as a challenge to myself, I took some candid portraits.

My question is: is it worthwhile uploading individual candid portraits, as in only one person, as opposed to say a photo of the crowd or a group of people which depicts more what was going on.

Example: this as opposed to that 

AoA shows only one search for 'candid portrait' over the last year. Of course, a search will probably be more precise, like 'blonde woman holding a drink'.

On the other hand, a search on Alamy returns 269,000 pix with 'candid portrait'.

I am attending another event at the end of the week, camel races this time, and I don't want to waste my time uploading something unlikely to sell.

Also, as the events are ticketed and on private properties, could I potentially get into trouble if someone is not happy with having their picture on sale or licensed? I marked those as Editorial only but I doubt that it would make any difference in court.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by gvallee

Hey Gen, I would say that group candids, like your sample is more likely to sell....it says more about the event.  Of the single candids that I have shot and and have on Alamy, only a few have sold.  It helps if they are demonstrating something or dressed in a way that tells a story, such as a period costume or cultural clothing.  I have photographed people who are made up to look like an historical character and so those may sell.  But, I would concentrate more on the "bigger picture" of people enjoying the event and/or locale. 

This one has sold

B1CFF8.jpg

But not this

B1CFKW.jpg

This has sold many times to illustrate irrigation along the Nile

B9WDKM.jpg

But not this of a guy sailing his felucca on the Nile

B9917P.jpg

• Like 1

If the picture works upload it. A candid portrait in context is OK,

randwick-glos-uk-13th-may-2023-the-wap-queen-is-blessed-at-the-well-randick-wap-is-a-traditional-cotswold-spring-celebration-held-in-the-little-village-of-randwick-just-north-of-stroud-there-is-a-fair-a-procession-and-dancing-with-origins-in-medieval-times-the-celebration-died-out-but-was-revived-in-the-1970s-by-the-local-vicar-credit-jmf-newsalamy-live-news-2R1D222.jpg

Usage: Editorial
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: up to 2 million
Placement: Inside and online
Image Size: 1/4 page
Start: 14 May 2023
End: 15 May 2023
Any placement in paper and online. One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.

Didn't ask for permission but she was the May Queen being carried on a chair around the village by the football team.

bristol-uk-2nd-march-2023-perkin-the-cat-lent-his-support-striking-teachers-hold-a-rally-on-college-green-in-bristol-before-marching-around-the-city-teachers-are-striking-because-they-believe-they-are-not-paid-enough-government-offers-of-a-below-inflation-rise-have-been-rejected-by-the-national-education-union-neu-the-union-says-that-government-underfunding-of-education-is-affecting-children-teaching-leaders-say-that-it-is-now-very-hard-to-attract-and-retain-good-teachers-because-of-historic-real-term-pay-cuts-and-poor-working-conditions-credit-mr-standfastalamy-live-news-2NYJ8GR.jpg

Usage: Editorial, Use in a single article across e-newsletter, magazine, and/or editorial website
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Start: 28 June 2023
Duration: In perpetuity

A striking teacher at a public rally. Permission asked for and given, very friendly chap; willing to be photographed but he couldn't look at the camera. 

I can think of one I took and didn't upload. At the recent Dr's strike in Bristol a patient came out and was supporting the picket line outside the hospital. He was clearly well medicated.
The local PA staffer took the picture and it was taken up by most of the nationals. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/acas-government-rishi-sunak-british-medical-association-secretary-of-state-b2368426.html  I thought long and hard about that one, I wasn't sure he was the advocate the Dr's wanted, I'd seen the expression on their faces, so decided to hold fire. The picket line was quite wary the next day.

So if you can rationise the situation, be brave and upload the image.

10 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

If the picture works upload it. A candid portrait in context is OK,

randwick-glos-uk-13th-may-2023-the-wap-queen-is-blessed-at-the-well-randick-wap-is-a-traditional-cotswold-spring-celebration-held-in-the-little-village-of-randwick-just-north-of-stroud-there-is-a-fair-a-procession-and-dancing-with-origins-in-medieval-times-the-celebration-died-out-but-was-revived-in-the-1970s-by-the-local-vicar-credit-jmf-newsalamy-live-news-2R1D222.jpg

Usage: Editorial
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: up to 2 million
Placement: Inside and online
Image Size: 1/4 page
Start: 14 May 2023
End: 15 May 2023
Any placement in paper and online. One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.

Didn't ask for permission but she was the May Queen being carried on a chair around the village by the football team.

bristol-uk-2nd-march-2023-perkin-the-cat-lent-his-support-striking-teachers-hold-a-rally-on-college-green-in-bristol-before-marching-around-the-city-teachers-are-striking-because-they-believe-they-are-not-paid-enough-government-offers-of-a-below-inflation-rise-have-been-rejected-by-the-national-education-union-neu-the-union-says-that-government-underfunding-of-education-is-affecting-children-teaching-leaders-say-that-it-is-now-very-hard-to-attract-and-retain-good-teachers-because-of-historic-real-term-pay-cuts-and-poor-working-conditions-credit-mr-standfastalamy-live-news-2NYJ8GR.jpg

Usage: Editorial, Use in a single article across e-newsletter, magazine, and/or editorial website
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Start: 28 June 2023
Duration: In perpetuity

A striking teacher at a public rally. Permission asked for and given, very friendly chap; willing to be photographed but he couldn't look at the camera. 

I can think of one I took and didn't upload. At the recent Dr's strike in Bristol a patient came out and was supporting the picket line outside the hospital. He was clearly well medicated.
The local PA staffer took the picture and it was taken up by most of the nationals. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/acas-government-rishi-sunak-british-medical-association-secretary-of-state-b2368426.html  I thought long and hard about that one, I wasn't sure he was the advocate the Dr's wanted, I'd seen the expression on their faces, so decided to hold fire. The picket line was quite wary the next day.

So if you can rationise the situation, be brave and upload the image.

Thank you for advice, I appreciate it. It makes sense.

If it’s a public event there isn’t a problem, here in UK at least, photographing people at it given that they don’t have a reasonable expectation of privacy at such an event. If it’s a private event on private property I’d check with the organisers that the ticket says something about photographers taking photos which they consent to by buying a ticket. Otherwise best to ask individuals.

Edited by Sally

2 minutes ago, Sally said:

If it’s a public event there isn’t a problem, here in UK at least, photographing people at it given that they don’t have a reasonable expectation of privacy at such an event. If it’s a private event on private property I’d check with the organisers that the ticket says something about photographers taking photos which they consent to by buying a ticket. Otherwise best to ask individuals.

Thank you for your input Sally. This was a very low key event not for tourists in a very remote location. I liked it because for a change, it did not say 'no commercial photography' on their website, contrary to other events/festivals. Mind you, it's so low key that they never got round to publishing the program on their website. Still says something like 'program pending'.

As for asking permission, it's too late now and I would never dare anyway. So for future events, even if it doesn't say 'no commercial photography', I think I will keep the solo portraits for myself and only upload groups. I went to another rodeo which had a small hidden A4 sheet near the arena saying 'no commercial photography'. So I didn't upload anything to Alamy, only to FB, so not for sale. I noticed on my timeline that some people were tagging each other on my portraits. Obviously they recognised someone and was letting them know. So I won't be taking any risks.

• Love 2