Mc, Mac........ Search function issue

I've just emailed contributors with an issue which may have been highlighted previously, for which I apologise, but may be worth knowing when keywording. Searching for McLaren (a popular car marque) using its correct lettering causes the system to separate the name into two words; Mc Laren, which only finds 1864 images from the database. Searching mclaren in lower case returns the full, I presume, 145,091 images. The same applies for McDonalds etc. That's not very helpful.

11 hours ago, Avpics said:

Searching for McLaren (a popular car marque) using its correct lettering causes the system to separate the name into two words; Mc Laren, which only finds 1864 images from the database

Not happening for me actually. I'm using Chrome on an Imac.

Sorry, misread the issue, I wasn't entering the capital 'L'.

Edited by Harry Harrison

'm Chrome on Windows 11. Odd

Mine is an old Imac mind, late 2013 running Catalina, Chrome v114. I get 1861 for 'Mc Laren' when I enter it like that but 143034 for 'McLaren'

Edit: I happened not to be logged in for those totals, logged in "McLaren'  - 145091, "Mc Laren' - 1864, so the same as you but without the complications.

Edited by Harry Harrison

24 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Looking at AOA for the past year there are six pages of Mc Laren, with 1 sale. Clearly it's affected many searchers, but would they realise?

It's behaving as you describe on my Iphone SE, iOS 15.7.6. You might notice how the text gets broken in the search field I suppose.

I see that Alamy will offer up suggestions, "McLaren F1" etc.  and just "McLaren" in fact. These work OK.

Edited by Harry Harrison

I've just emailed contributors with an issue which may have been highlighted previously

Sorry, misread your issue, search words break at capital letters, so in fact if you enter "McLaRen" the search will be for "Mc La Ren" (no, don't try it, though you do get 9 results).

I don't recall having read about this on here before, difficult to search on the forum for it though. It might date back to the 'Great Reset' in June last year when the new collections came in I suppose. I'm not sure when it started offering up suggestions but I think it might have been then.

Edited by Harry Harrison

Incidentally it won't just be Mc & Macs these days, I think some companies are choosing to put capital letters in strange places as a stylistic flourish and also perhaps because it helps to compensate for the lack of spaces in a web address.

From Alamy:

I have just tried the same search and I get the same results as you. I think this could be a flaw in the system. I’ll pass this on to our IT Team to take a look.

There seem to be quite a lot of flaws in the system with regards to search. I regularly search check my own images and even when I match every keyword exactly there are times I'll get no results. And then there's the fact that Alamy doesn't keyword stem at all, which seems to be almost unique to them nowadays.

4 hours ago, Cal said:

There seem to be quite a lot of flaws in the system with regards to search. I regularly search check my own images and even when I match every keyword exactly there are times I'll get no results. And then there's the fact that Alamy doesn't keyword stem at all, which seems to be almost unique to them nowadays.

You have seen this thread?

ChatGPT will of course solve all our problems. Because it will be even better than Apple to decide for us what we want.

wim

edit: too late the thread about why millions of images are missing just got locked.

In case an admin is reading this:

Parts of the list are still in the quotes. Please remove these too.

You could have asked (and given us the opportunity) to do this of course. Now it's locked; it's locked.

Edited by wiskerke

• 2 weeks later...