Can any horse experts help identify this breed ...

Martyn

Hoping someone who knows their horse breeds might be able to identify what breed this horse is ! The owners just call it a pony horse which isn't too helpful ! It was taken in Western Hungary and the closest and most likely match I have found so far on the internet is a Hucul / Carpathian ... any help much appreciated !

small-brown-golden-tan-coloured-horse-grazing-in-rural-field-on-summer-late-afternoon-zala-county-hungary-2R7Y1CD.jpg

Too bad Thelwell's aren't real ponies!

It probably is just "a pony".  Not every horse or pony is a specific breed.  Many are crossbreeds.  Especially ponies. This one is very Thelwellian though.

Jill

• Thanks 1

https://breeds.okstate.edu/horses/hucul-horses.html

My guess is that if this photo was of that, the owners would have said so since the breed is very rare.  Color of this horse is sorrel.

Jill's point about horses being cross bred -- many were job-selected rather than bloodline selected.  A stallion and a mare who were good at their work would be bred together.  Same was true of sheep herding breeds, ratters, sheep protection dogs.   The insistence on blood lines and typiness is Victorian.

Also, stallions are notorious for jumping out of enclosures or breaking down weak fences and making a tour through the neighborhood to sire foals on any mare in season and willing. 

And humans have been moving different horse strains around for thousands of years.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sue Norwood said:

As said above, he is probably just a pony but in the UK his colour is described as chestnut.

In the U.S. the color is sorrel, synonymous with chestnut so tag both words.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

In the thoroughbred racing world, they are very simple in horse colours:  chestnut, bay, dark bay or brown, grey, black, white. Black is rare and white is extremely rate. About 1 in every 100,000.  Most white horses you see (such as the Spanish Lippizan ) are classified as grey, even though they appear pure white.  But most white horses are born black, and slowly grey out as they get older, then eventually appear white.  A true white horse is actually born white and has pink unpigmented skin.

Your horse lesson of the day.

Jill

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

In the U.S. the color is sorrel, synonymous with chestnut so tag both words.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorrel_(horse)

"Sorrel" may be more US South and West vs. more Anglo influenced show and racing sets.   The Wikipedia article suggests sorrels are lighter thanchestnuts in some circles. 

• Like 1

I spoke to the owners and they also confirmed that their two horses aren't a specific breed and they just refer to them as horse ponies ! I have put sorrel in the tags and will now also add chestnut ... thanks for all of your answers !

8 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

In the thoroughbred racing world, they are very simple in horse colours:  chestnut, bay, dark bay or brown, grey, black, white. Black is rare and white is extremely rate. About 1 in every 100,000.  Most white horses you see (such as the Spanish Lippizan ) are classified as grey, even though they appear pure white.  But most white horses are born black, and slowly grey out as they get older, then eventually appear white.  A true white horse is actually born white and has pink unpigmented skin.

Your horse lesson of the day.

Jill

If it has pink eyes it would be a true Albino.

Allan

13 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorrel_(horse)

"Sorrel" may be more US South and West vs. more Anglo influenced show and racing sets.   The Wikipedia article suggests sorrels are lighter thanchestnuts in some circles. 

In Oklahoma, when I bought my 3-year-old mare, I was told by an older horseman who had bred & sold horses all of his life, that my horse was called a “blood sorrel”. Maybe that was a common name that horse people in our area used. She was red, a gorgeous deep intense red that when the sun hit her in the summer after losing her winter coat, I could see blue/purple reflections like an oil slick on water. Her color was the most beautiful red on a horse I had ever seen & horse people we rode with always exclaimed at her color. Absolutely no brown over or undertones.

It was a delight to brush the dust out of her & bring out those oil-slick reflections.

Of course, every time I bathed her, she’d go roll in the dust. At least I learned to keep her tethered until she was totally dry. 
When I bred her to a gray stallion, she threw a strawberry roan filly, beautiful also.

My husband’s mare was bought in winter, & she was totally black. But when she shed her winter coat, her body lightened somewhat, so maybe a dark bay? Her head, tail & legs were solid black.  Bred to the same gray stallion, she threw a lineback dun colt, another beautiful color. Similar to a Buckskin except for the dark line down his back. They all were Quarterhorses.

Edited to add:

From the time I was 6 years old, my dream was to have my own horse. My family had no land & little money, so that was a pipe dream. After my parents divorced because of dad’s alcoholism, he promised he would buy me a horse. I walked around, age 7, with stars in my eyes. I didn’t get to see dad often, but when I did, I’d ask if he had found me a horse, yet. He would have this blank look in his eyes, then go, “Oh! I almost made a deal last week but the guy backed out.” Or similar excuses.

My mother tried to tell me he was lying, & I deeply resented her words. I almost hated her, the best mom ever. Finally, after enough of those blank-eyed looks from dad, I realized what she said was true. I was devastated. That lie he told resulted in that when I became a parent, I never promised my children we would get them their heart’s desire unless I absolutely knew 100% we could & would.

After Mom married my stepfather, we lived on a farm briefly for 18 months. There, I rode a fuel barrel, pretending it was a horse. There, was the story I told where I kept pestering my stepdad to put me on the back of one of our milk cows. In disgust & to teach me a lesson, he finally did, but never let go of me with his hands, thankfully. To say the cow didn’t want me on her bony, painful (to me) back was an understatement. I was 8.

So as a mother with 3 children, when we made the deal for my mare, when we came home I basically threw myself on the bed & sobbed. When my husband, confused, asked why I was crying, I said “tears of joy.”

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Like 1