NEX-6 setup

I find the recessed buttons on the NEX-6 to be something of a pain, but no camera is perfect. I guess Sony wanted to keep the body as streamlined as possible. The popup flash -- same one as on the NEX-7, I believe -- looks really flimsy as well; but it works well, and I probably won't use it much. Real Men don't wear gloves BTW.

:)  Intending to go out at midnight tonight to shoot the firework display in Newcastle, and with the temperature forecast to be 3 to 4 degC, gloves will a necessity for me. Presumably you Canadian types don't bother unless the temp falls to less than 20 below?

Just kidding. Vancouver is actually quite balmy (but soggy) in the winter, so gloves aren't usually necessary. When I lived in Montreal, however, the mitts never came off, and my cameras used to turn to ice.

When I visited my son in Montreal for a Québécoise Christmas some 20 years ago, they had the coldest day in the history of that city.

No kidding. I had no idea it could get so cold.

Bryan, I have a pair of gloves with a pebbled-rubber palm and inside of the fingers. Still I remove them when dealing with the menu.

We should all move to Guatemala City, where the temp is always a high of 72 Fahrenheit. 

When I visited my son in Montreal for a Québécoise Christmas some 20 years ago, they had the coldest day in the history of that city.

No kidding. I had no idea it could get so cold.

Bryan, I have a pair of gloves with a pebbled-rubber palm and inside of the fingers. Still I remove them when dealing with the menu.

We should all move to Guatemala City, where the temp is always a high of 72 Fahrenheit. 

If you think Montreal is cold, try Winnipeg. People there have been known to crack in half while waiting for the bus.

I love the Guatemalan highlands, especially at this time of year. Wish I could afford to pay them a visit. How about those Michael Jackson (rest his troubled soul) gloves, the ones with the missing fingertips? They might do the job.

I'd rather not learn about Winnipeg, thank you. 

I own a pair of fingerless gloves; my fingers are cold wearing them.

I have two bottles of Folonari Chianti here, inexpensive and surprisingly good. I turned down an invitation from my sister and family in Baltimore and another from my ex-wife in Montana, and here I sit alone. Va bene. Yes, I'm Irish, sometimes very, but I don't have 'an Irish liver.' Tonight I will try to correct that problem (although I remain part Romano).  Shláinte tutti.

We have relatives in Canada (Thunder Bay) and have just received an e-mail saying Presently we are at -32C with a wind-chill of -43C. !!  Grim or what?

I hate the cold, so we have just booked a low cost trip to Portugal in February. Should be warm(ish), but not necessarily sunny/dry.

Re gloves, missing fingertips would mean frozen fingers, but worn inside mitts and only briefly revealed for adjustments might be the answer!! Heated camera controls have got to be the way  :)

I'd rather not learn about Winnipeg, thank you. 

I own a pair of fingerless gloves; my fingers are cold wearing them.

I have two bottles of Folonari Chianti here, inexpensive and surprisingly good. I turned down an invitation from my sister and family in Baltimore and another from my ex-wife in Montana, and here I sit alone. Va bene. Yes, I'm Irish, sometime very, but I don't have 'an Irish liver.' Tonight I will try to correct that problem (although I remain part Romano).  Shláinte tutti.

I'll drink to your health when I've thawed out after tonight's outing Ed, probably hot Gluwein, but it might just be Whisky.

We have relatives in Canada (Thunder Bay) and have just received an e-mail saying Presently we are at -32C with a wind-chill of -43C. !!  Grim or what?

I hate the cold, so we have just booked a low cost trip to Portugal in February. Should be warm(ish), but not necessarily sunny/dry.

Re gloves, missing fingertips would mean frozen fingers, but worn inside mitts and only briefly revealed for adjustments might be the answer!! Heated camera controls have got to be the way  :)

I now dislike the cold as well. That's one of the reasons I moved to Vancouver -- it's not exactly sunny California but much more civilized temperature-wise than the likes of Thunder Bay. Also, I was born in what was then the British West Indies, so I guess there is still some tropical blood in my veins. Portugal sounds like a great idea. My parents took me there when I was a kid. Still have fond memories of Lisbon. Perhaps the NEX-6.01 will have hot buttons, one can only hope.

Although I had a small Artflakes sale last week, I don't think of myself as a Fine Arts photographer, nor am I any longer an assignment photographer.  If my 'focus' included either of these pursuits, I might value the NEX-7 over the 6, because of its 24MP.  The larger image would be helpful for prints and posters.  But for stock, and that's what I shoot now, the better noise control, more useable flash shoe, etc of the NEX-6 make more sense.  In fact I may well sell the NEX-7 body in 2014 and buy one more Sony lens: the 10-18 f/4 ultra-wide. I also plan to sell my Sony 16mm and 30mm and my Sigma 30mm. So in 2014 (oh, this is 2014!) I'll have the 24-200 view zoom on the RX10, the 10-18, 24 and 50, and the NEX-3 for backup. Let the games begin!

Although I had a small Artflakes sale last week, I don't think of myself as a Fine Arts photographer, nor am I any longer an assignment photographer.  If my 'focus' included either of these pursuits, I might value the NEX-7 over the 6, because of its 24MP.  The larger image would be helpful for prints and posters.  But for stock, and that's what I shoot now, the better noise control, more useable flash shoe, etc of the NEX-6 make more sense.  In fact I may well sell the NEX-7 body in 2014 and buy one more Sony lens: the 10-18 f/4 ultra-wide. I also plan to sell my Sony 16mm and 30mm and my Sigma 30mm. So in 2014 (oh, this is 2014!) I'll have the 24-200 view zoom on the RX10, the 10-18, 24 and 50, and the NEX-3 for backup. Let the games begin!

That's a good point, Ed. The files from the 24 MP NEX-7 would probably be better for prints/posters. Mind you, I've sold large prints -- including one 40-inch one recently -- on FAA of images taken with a 10 MP DSLR (28 MB files).

Don't have that zoom, Neil. Sony has been coming out with some lenses for their NEX cameras, at last. But many are inappropriately larger and heavier than should be. The 10-18 is only a half pound, but the 18-105 is over a pound. Now that I have the RX10 and its 24-200 f/4 zoom I'm no longer looking for an NEX street-zoom. 

i use my nex 6 for steam rail photography and to be honest it does pretty well, i have been thinking of getting rid of it to be honest due to lenses, but i now see sony has the 18 - 105 g lens out, has anyone tried this yet,. 

You can use virtually any lens ever made on a NEX with an adapter, it won't be image stabilised, nor have auto focus, but the quality from old primes is far better than the kit zoom. I only ever use the kit zoom when I want a minimum size package, carrying the camera just in case.

Not impressed with the reviews that I have seen on the Zeiss 16-70 zoom, people talking about soft corners, edges etc. Very disappointing.  Can't imagine that the 18-105 (6x zoom range as compared to 4x) is going to be any better, but living in hope.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again, please Mr Sigma build a half decent 24-70 equivalent f4 zoom for Sony E mount.

Just wondering, does anyone have any experience using Minolta AF lenses with the Sony LA-EA1 adapter? I have a Minolta 75-300 AF zoom (plus another Minolta AF lens) that I would like to have the option of using with my NEX cameras. I realize that the LA-EA2 adapter would give me phase-detect AF, but I find it too bulky and expensive. Manual focusing is relatively easy with the NEX cameras, so I don't see lack of AF with the cheaper and more compact LA-EA1 as a big issue.

John I have the LA-EA1 adapter and use it with a Sigma 10-20mm, and a Sony 'plastic fantastic' 55-200mm. Both lenses are not too big or heavy and balance nicely on the NEX-7, and the manual focus works nicely with peaking.

I also still have my Sigma 17-70mm which is very sharp, even on 24MP, but just a little too front-heavy on the NEX-7 so I don't use it much.

The adapter works well, you can select the aperture on the camera just like a native lens, and you get all the lens info in the EXIF.

I just sold my A100 and A700 bodies but I might hang on to the lenses for a while.

John I have the LA-EA1 adapter and use it with a Sigma 10-20mm, and a Sony 'plastic fantastic' 55-200mm. Both lenses are not too big or heavy and balance nicely on the NEX-7, and the manual focus works nicely with peaking.

I also still have my Sigma 17-70mm which is very sharp, even on 24MP, but just a little too front-heavy on the NEX-7 so I don't use it much.

The adapter works well, you can select the aperture on the camera just like a native lens, and you get all the lens info in the EXIF.

I just sold my A100 and A700 bodies but I might hang on to the lenses for a while.

Thanks for the feedback, Niels. Sounds good. I think that I will search around for a used LA-EA1 adapter. They seem to go for about $100. I would probably use a tripod most of the time with the Minolta 75-300 since it's quite hefty for the NEX. It would be nice to have the extra reach when needed (which is seldom). I still have an A100 w/kit lens that I'm trying to sell on CL. There has been very little interest so far, even though I keep lowering the price. 

Archived