Upload from Lightroom?

Guy Barron

Question

Can I upload directly from Lightroom?…. I haven’t uploaded anything since 2004 … got back into it… brought 1dx mk11 20mp camera…used to upload raw with 1ds and upscale to 18 mb… now they want jpeg… uploaded 3 images 10 days ago … no information if they passed QC… 

I don’t know if I’ve done it right or wrong… shooting on raw and jpeg L.  Just made tiny adjustments in Lightroom… sent adjusted jpeg L to files on iPad Pro-.. then upload to QC…. Don’t want to send anymore till I know workload procedure… 

tbh if they rejected the 3 on actual quality I’d be amazed… do you have to put in a ton of information with it ? … I just labelled them with Costa Rica jpg 1..2..3… also had gps turned off in camera but had iptc on.

please help as I’ve had zero feedback from alamy.

regards Guy

8 answers to this question

I'm not sure if there's a plug in where you can upload directly from Lightroom, if that's what you mean. 

I don't always take my files into Photoshop - it depends, Often, I process the Raw in LR and I'm done. Other times, hours. 

I'm a little concerned about the move to your tablet - I just got my first iPad late last year so noob with that, but I wonder if the move to the iPad compresses them? 

Easy to find out if they've been accepted or not.

Go to your dashboard, then Alamy Image Manager ("AIM" as most folks here refer to it, just FYI) and the pix and all the info will be there. 

If you need to finish captioning or keywording, you can do it there.

You'll also want to add "supertags" by highlighting up to 10 of the most important keywords in each photo. Click on the photo in AIM and you'll see all the IPTC info on the right. Make sure you've only clicked on one pic unless they both have the same caption, etc. 

Welcome back! I didn't even know Alamy was around in 2004! 

Two different questions really, Alamy QC and Lightroom plugins. There is the Alamy Bridge plugin which synchronises with AIM both ways, it's not produced by Alamy. I don't use it but on the face of it I probably should. I just created an export preset with the correct parameters, or at least the ones that suit me. The filename is irrelevant, no one sees it, but instead you can enter keywords and caption (description) in Lightroom and Alamy imports them, it saves a bit of time. The Bridge plugin brings any edits you make in AIM back into Lightroom, and much more besides, it does require that you have unique filenames though or else there is a bit of work to do retrospectively.

Alamy QC has changed a lot with respect to digital since 2004, and the Alamy Image Manager is totally different. 

On 16/03/2023 at 18:54, Harry Harrison said:

The filename is irrelevant,

But it's good practice to ensure the filenames used for uploaded jpgs are traceable within your own system, so that it's possible to easily identify the original RAW/jpg. This can be useful when pursuing infringements, or if an Alamy customer requests a higher resolution version.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

4 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

But it's good practice to ensure the filenames used for uploaded jpgs are traceable within your own system, so that it's possible easily identify the original RAW/jpg.

Yes, I always leave mine as they are but since they are either Fujis or Canons and I'm using at least two of each make then I have some duplicates since I didn't change the default file naming on the different cameras. Easy to find the right one in Lightroom should the need arise though. I also save all my upload jpegs in their batches. We can see the original filename on the enlarged view in AIM, and in the exported data csv, but the customer never does so "Costa Rica jpg 1..2..3…" wouldn't help me at all. I know others have a file naming template when importing into Lightroom, in fact I think you do yourself, but I don't really have a reason to, apart from the fact that moving to the Alamy Bridge plugin would cause me a bit of grief to begin with whilst I dealt with the duplicates. That's probably why I haven't done so yet.

Edited by Harry Harrison

There used to be a couple of extensions for Lightroom, one for checking size and other quality requirements, another(s) for uploading. But I understand Adobe disabled FTP and/or Cloud uploading (other than Adobe Cloud, of course) long time ago.

I use Alamy Lightroom Bridge all the time. It takes a bit of getting used to, but so worth doing as there are many advantages. One is the smart collections it automatically creates (and I’ve got others now I’ve created) which allow me to see at a glance things like which photos have not got the different kinds of optional data added, and those that have fewer than 10 supertags etc as well as which photos are in QC, which have been deleted and so on. And then you can also search Lightroom using a whole range of Alamy only metadata. You can upload directly from Lightroom, but I prefer to export jpgs (with keywords embedded) to my computer and check the images first before uploading them to Alamy via the webpage, then just delete the jpgs. Once uploaded, you can set supertags and optional data (which actually you could do when creating the jpgs too) and then import it all back into Lightroom. It’s a fantastic plug-in. 

Edited by Sally

16 hours ago, Sally said:

I use Alamy Lightroom Bridge all the time. ...... It’s a fantastic plug-in. 

Maybe it's improved.  I tried it a couple of years ago and it seemed fine with the trial version (limited to 500 pics if I remember correctly).  Anyway, I paid for the full version but after a few minutes it began to slow down uploading the data from Alamy and eventually it slowed to a absolute snails pace.  I calculated that, at the rate it was updating the files, if would take about three weeks to complete if I left it running 24/7 (and I'm on a very fast fibre broadband) - I had about 18K files at the time.  I gave up with it.

On 22/03/2023 at 14:58, Vincent Lowe said:

Maybe it's improved.  I tried it a couple of years ago and it seemed fine with the trial version (limited to 500 pics if I remember correctly).  Anyway, I paid for the full version but after a few minutes it began to slow down uploading the data from Alamy and eventually it slowed to a absolute snails pace.  I calculated that, at the rate it was updating the files, if would take about three weeks to complete if I left it running 24/7 (and I'm on a very fast fibre broadband) - I had about 18K files at the time.  I gave up with it.

Since I started using it at the beginning of my Alamy career, I guess I didn’t have a massive initial matching exercise to do.