Ultra-Realistic Images

Rico

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

In five years no one will have need of the use of cameras.

Allan

Photography won't go away though, just like painting hasn't. Film is also making one hell of a comeback, to the point where Kodak clearly can't keep up with demand, and they brought back Ektachrome a few years ago after killing it.

AI might become the standard for basic conceptual type images but you can't report the news by telling an AI computer to render what just happened. Also whenever the AI imagery takeover does happen shooting on simply any camera will become the new "I shoot JPEG and I never process my images".

Edited by Cal

10 minutes ago, Cal said:

Photography won't go away though, just like painting hasn't. Film is also making one hell of a comeback, to the point where Kodak clearly can't keep up with demand, and they brought back Ektachrome a few years ago after killing it.

AI might become the standard for basic conceptual type images but you can't report the news by telling an AI computer to render what just happened. Also whenever the AI imagery takeover does happen shooting on simply any camera will become the new "I shoot JPEG and I never process my images".

Unfortunately Harry has already found Ai images in the news section on Alamy.  How can they be news beats me.

Allan

7 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Unfortunately Harry has already found Ai images in the news section on Alamy.  How can they be news beats me.

Allan

The only reason I uploaded 4 AI images was for exactly that (potential use in news articles) and tagged with "controversy" "IP" etc, with the thought that they might be used to illustrate a story on the rise, and the pitfalls, of AI imagery. Not that I've sold any :)

11 minutes ago, StokeCreative said:

The only reason I uploaded 4 AI images was for exactly that (potential use in news articles) and tagged with "controversy" "IP" etc, with the thought that they might be used to illustrate a story on the rise, and the pitfalls, of AI imagery.

Yes, my search was prompted by spiegel in the 'AI selling experience' thread so the search was for 'generative AI' and there were 807 in Editorial. I'm not sure why most are there but it could just be to act as examples, none that I've seen seem to be passing themselves off as reality news pictures. Actually the top result is a group of South Korean gentlemen laying flowers at a grave and I can't for the life of me see why that one comes up for that search at all.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Love 1

I really don't understand why this new 'Digitally altered' status has now been forced to appear under all images now. It's ridiculous that it appears as 'Unknown' under AI generated images but then we can't enter that parameter so that's the only option for images added now. Long before I joined Alamy I believe you had to enter it, before the new AIM I suppose. Really if there is no value entered it shouldn't appear under the image at all, just as 'Location' only appears if that field has been filled in.

3 hours ago, Cal said:

Exactly. Photography was supposed to be the death of painting but what it did do is push artists to further explore their medium so we ended up with impressionism, Picasso etc and a far more exciting art world.

Photography will live on and am excited to see how it develops

3 hours ago, StokeCreative said:

The only reason I uploaded 4 AI images was for exactly that (potential use in news articles) and tagged with "controversy" "IP" etc, with the thought that they might be used to illustrate a story on the rise, and the pitfalls, of AI imagery. Not that I've sold any :)

I did not know they were your images Hugh.  Thanks for explaining why they are there.

Allan

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, my search was prompted by spiegel in the 'AI selling experience' thread so the search was for 'generative AI' and there were 807 in Editorial. I'm not sure why most are there but it could just be to act as examples, none that I've seen seem to be passing themselves off as reality news pictures. Actually the top result is a group of South Korean gentlemen laying flowers at a grave and I can't for the life of me see why that one comes up for that search at all.

Maybe they searched for a photo of SK men laying flowers, couldn't find one and then tried an ai search? I'm seeing a lot more ai videos and images on YouTube where image quality isn't really necessary.