Early 1960s photography show

Avpics

I'm working on some print scans of a photography show at Olympia London that my dad took in the early 1960s and am struggling to find any further details. The image below is an overview that I've uploaded and is awaiting update of the database, and I have a few detail shots but nothing that gives away a year or title of the show. I'd be grateful for any memories of such events that may help fill in some gaps. Was this part of 'The Photography Show' series that is current today? I'm not seeing anything else on the Alamy database or general web searches. He only had a passing interest in photography at the time so has very little to go on with it being a one-time visit but is sure that it pre-dates me, so <1965.

2KM9EBK.jpg

Circa 1965, which is what I expected. There's a couple of Pathe News films from 1957 of the Amateur Photographer Photo Fair at Olympia, of which this may be a later edition.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/photo-fair-olympia

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/photo-fair-olympia-1/query/Olympia

There are also a couple of event programmes for the 'International Photo-Cine Fair' at Olympia on Ebay for the 1961 and 1963 event, with two images on Alamy; E0W321 and E0W33E.

Well known internet auction site

I expect it was one of those, unless the Photo Fair continued in addition.

I think the Amateur Photographer show continued into the 70s. The fact that the AP logo is prominent in both your picture and the one on Flickr suggests that this is what it is. I remember going to one in 1969 or 1970.

The only thing I remember about it was a stand with a young woman posing and looking very uncomfortable, wearing a bikini and a very forced smile, and crowds of seedy-looking middle-aged men jostling to get near the front, probably with no film in their cameras.

Alan

• Thanks 1

Closest I can get is post- July 1st. 1964, when Agfa and Gevaert merged- their stand is in the Flickr image.

The AP cover should be datable.

My money would be on a bit later but Avpics seems firm about 1965 so that kinda nails it to 64-5. And there are a few hats and not much trendy gear.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

.....and crowds of seedy-looking middle-aged men jostling to get near the front, probably with no film in their cameras.

Alan

Take a look at those Pathe films for examples!

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Closest I can get is post- July 1st. 1964, when Agfa and Gevaert merged- their stand is in the Flickr image.

The AP cover should be datable.

My money would be on a bit later but Avpics seems firm about 1965 so that kinda nails it to 64-5. And there are a few hats and not much trendy gear.

Thank you. I won't share the images, but these show photographs are prior to baby photos of myself mostly without clothing as was the way.