Cloud back up gone

Just checking my cloud back up this morning. All gone, folders, gone, the whole account empty. It's not my primary back up facility just one of them thankfully.

No data lost as it's held in several locations; lesson don't keep your back-ups in one location or computer.

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

Just checking my cloud back up this morning. All gone, folders, gone, the whole account empty. It's not my primary back up facility just one of them thankfully.

No data lost as it's held in several locations; lesson don't keep your back-ups in one location or computer.

I'm not on the cloud, as I don't trust them.  My backup is an external drive, but they can also become corrupt and lose data. I've thought about going back to Flickr as a general backup, but is too much work.  I've having trouble with uploading here on a regular basis.

I have always used my own local storage. I use a Western Digital MyCloud file server which has two 3 TB WD Red drives configured as RAID drives so that the one drive is mirrored onto the other drive automatically. My Lightroom catalogs are mapped to this single drive so that my images are backed-up all the time. Just to be sure I have another 3TB external USB 3 drive which I copy the file server to every couple of months.

So it’s a triple backup system that requires very little effort. 

9 minutes ago, MB Photography said:

I have always used my own local storage. I use a Western Digital MyCloud file server which has two 3 TB WD Red drives configured as RAID drives so that the one drive is mirrored onto the other drive automatically. My Lightroom catalogs are mapped to this single drive so that my images are backed-up all the time. Just to be sure I have another 3TB external USB 3 drive which I copy the file server to every couple of months.

So it’s a triple backup system that requires very little effort. 

A RAID is not a back up, and if your external drive is stored in your home as well, it is not secure against fire theft or flood.

• Dislike 1

14 hours ago, Cal said:

A RAID is not a back up, and if your external drive is stored in your home as well, it is not secure against fire theft or flood.

Completely wrong. RAID 1 is a mirror of one of the drives so if one of the drives has a hardware failure the second drive contains all the data which can be recovered or the faulty disk replaced. If you accidentally delete a file it’s placed in the File Servers Recycle Bin which is not emptied automatically.

I never mentioned anything about where the external drive was stored.

On 16/11/2022 at 08:42, MB Photography said:

Completely wrong. RAID 1 is a mirror of one of the drives so if one of the drives has a hardware failure the second drive contains all the data which can be recovered or the faulty disk replaced. If you accidentally delete a file it’s placed in the File Servers Recycle Bin which is not emptied automatically.

if you work in IT I feel sorry for your clients. I know full well what a RAID is and it isn't a backup. 

On 16/11/2022 at 08:42, MB Photography said:

So one drive mirrors the other, but there's no protection against fire, theft, power supply spike etc. because both are housed in the same enclosure....

On 15/11/2022 at 17:33, MB Photography said:

Just to be sure I have another 3TB external USB 3 drive which I copy the file server to every couple of months.

That's better, so long as it's kept in a separate location.

Mark