Another (crazy?) reason to use Editorial Use Only

Just been doing some testing. If I do an Alamy search for Tunbridge Wells in the All category and restrict to my Pseudonym, then all 16 of my images are displayed. These images have all been marked as containing Property without releases. All are suitable for Editorial Use.

However, if I change the Category from All to Editorial, then only 2 of my images appear. Checking the image attributes in AIM shows that the only 2 images that appear are ones where I had also ticked "Sell For Editorial Only"

Alamy - this is bonkers! If a customer selects the Editorial Category, they surely expect to be shown any (all) the images that are suitable for Editorial use, and not just ones that are restricted to Editorial only.

So, as it stands,  if we want our images to appear in Alamy's (so called) Editorial search results, then we have to set "sell for editorial only". But this, of course will prevent commercial use of those images.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

However, if I change the Category from All to Editorial, then only 2 of my images appear. Checking the image attributes in AIM shows that the only 2 images that appear are ones where I had also ticked "Sell For Editorial Only"

I think this has been known for a while, I've certainly posted about it on here several times. I've also pointed out that we have no way of finding which images that we have marked this way in AIM. I know you can find yours because you said that you don't have other restrictions so they will come up using the Attribute 'Restricted images' but I have petulantly made mine unavailable for personal use, so all mine come up there anyway. This is the problem that 'secondary editorial' no longer come up under Editorial unless they are checked for 'Sell for editorial only' and most of us only did this for images when we wanted a little more protection against unsuitable publication. So in my mind the Editorial search has been devalued, so much so that it is not mentioned on the Home page at all.

27 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

and on the other hand they will get non editorial images because the were uploaded through other tracks.... 

I'm not so sure about that, I don't think Reportage or Archival appear there. If you do a wide ranging search you will find that the total in 'All images' is considerably larger than the sum of Creative & Editorial, for that reason I think.

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

So, as it stands,  if we want our images to appear in Alamy's (so called) Editorial search results, then set "sell for editorial only". But this, of course will prevent commercial use of those images.

I actually brought it up on June 24th, I've also asked Alamy to provide a means to search for them a couple of times. Just wailing at the moon really.

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/15674-new-alamy-website-layout/page/6/#comment-318596

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I'm not so sure about that, I don't think Reportage or Archival appear there. If you do a wide ranging search you will find that the total in 'All images' is considerably larger than the sum of Creative & Editorial, for that reason I think.

ok so only News that are an issue of appearing in wrong places 

To my mind it's not really an AIM problem. It's only in exceptional circumstances that I restrict my images to Editorial Only. But what I do want is for all my images that are suitable for Editorial to actually appear in Editorial search category results. The ONLY images I wouldn't want to appear would be those where I've set a restriction such as "Don't Sell for Editorial". So it's Alamy search results that I'd like to see fixed. How many months is it now?

Combine this with the mess/ambiguities over Vital, Ultimate, Uncut and Foundation collections really makes me despair.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

To my mind it's not really an AIM problem. It's only in exceptional circumstances that I restrict my images to Editorial Only. But what I do want is for all my images that are suitable for Editorial to actually appear in Editorial search category results. The ONLY images I wouldn't want to appear would be those where I've set a restriction such as "Don't Sell for Editorial". So it's Alamy search results that I'd like to see fixed. How many months is it now?

Combine this with the mess/ambiguities over Vital, Ultimate, Uncut and Foundation collections really makes me despair.

Mark

and since Alamy has made it clear they will not address any of our concerns, and just provide canned answer, double upload seems to be the only solution. 

In another forum that cannot be named, a contributor was told by Alamy that he had to search in the ALL tab to find his editorial images... He didn't receive a reply when he asked what the editorial tab was for then.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gvallee said:

In another forum that cannot be named, a contributor was told by Alamy that he had to search in the ALL tab to find his editorial images... He didn't receive a reply when he asked what the editorial tab was for then.

Let's hope someone is telling clients to use the ALL tab.

wim

• Love 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gvallee said:

He didn't receive a reply when he asked what the editorial tab was for then.

What the Editorial tab should do is simply exclude those images where the contributor has ticked "Don't sell for editorial". But unfortunately it's been implemented incorrectly. It should be an easy quick fix, but 4 months on, nothing has been done. It's ridiculous.

Mark

• Thanks 3