Just started uploading, looking for feedback

Tobias

Hi all,

I have just started uploading some of my pictures here and tagged some of them, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask for feedback early to incorporate it directly into the next photos I tag!
Link to the portfolio

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Images look great. Captions and keywords are good too. 

View over Kotor Bay, Montenegro from Serpentines on a clear, cloudless day near Trojica Observation Deck. - Image ID: 2JPM33X

You don't need a full stop at the end of your caption. I'd have added 'aerial' to the caption and keywords.

Diving on sunken underwater patrol boat P31 in Comino from Gozo, Malta without divers in picture. - Image ID: 2JPRJW5

Probably doesn't hurt to add 'without divers', but clients can search for images with no people in if you fill in the information on the 'Optional' tab in AIM (Alamy Image Manager). Might help with the sale if you know any more information about the boat - e.g. when was it sunk? sunk how? which war?

Wide angle (not wideangle) is probably superfluous as a keyword. 

Steve

Thanks everyone for the replies!

12 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

I like your images. I can think of more keywords for some of them. I suggest you search similar images on here for ideas on more.

Great suggestion, I will do that!

3 hours ago, Steve F said:

View over Kotor Bay, Montenegro from Serpentines on a clear, cloudless day near Trojica Observation Deck. - Image ID: 2JPM33X

You don't need a full stop at the end of your caption. I'd have added 'aerial' to the caption and keywords.

Good to know about the full stop, and I will add 'aerial' (just was not sure if that is ok to add, since it is shot from a mountain and not a drone/plane/etc)!

3 hours ago, Steve F said:

Diving on sunken underwater patrol boat P31 in Comino from Gozo, Malta without divers in picture. - Image ID: 2JPRJW5

Probably doesn't hurt to add 'without divers', but clients can search for images with no people in if you fill in the information on the 'Optional' tab in AIM (Alamy Image Manager). Might help with the sale if you know any more information about the boat - e.g. when was it sunk? sunk how? which war?

I have now filled in that there are no people in the picture, but now I have a question regarding images with people in it: My understanding is that if people are not recognizable in an image I do not need a model release to sell it, right? Can I just enter "No" in the box asking if I have model releases for all people visible if none of them are recognizable or does this affect my images negatively?

Regarding the additional information, should I put it in "Additional Information" in AIM? (since this is not searchable I thought that it probably has no benefit to include) Or put it in the keywords?

This ship for example was purposely sunk in 2009 as a diving attraction, so should I include tags like "sunk 2009 as attraction"?

Thanks,

Tobias

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steve F said:

Steve

Problem with "Without divers" is that it will also hit searches for "divers".  I quickly looked at searches that use "without" and most are for items where this is part of brand "Men without hats" "Rebel without a cause" "Doctors without borders" etc.  though there is a few with give me some thoughts for my own images "nails without polish" "cat without tail" and they get really low results. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Regarding the additional information, should I put it in "Additional Information" in AIM? (since this is not searchable I thought that it probably has no benefit to include) Or put it in the keywords?

This ship for example was purposely sunk in 2009 as a diving attraction, so should I include tags like "sunk 2009 as attraction"?

Thanks,

Tobias

i would for sure add things that would make someone look for a "purposely sunk ship" in the diving world in the keywords, as this likely is specific and something someone might be looking for. 

11 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Problem with "Without divers" is that it will also hit searches for "divers".  I quickly looked at searches that use "without" and most are for items where this is part of brand "Men without hats" "Rebel without a cause" "Doctors without borders" etc.  though there is a few with give me some thoughts for my own images "nails without polish" "cat without tail" and they get really low results. 

Thanks! I normally don't put in things like 'no people' for this reason, because it will show up in 'people' searches.

13 hours ago, Tobias said:

Good to know about the full stop

Full stop is not a biggie, but it's best to try to put as many searchable words in your caption as possible, so use your 150 available characters efficiently.

I will add 'aerial' (just was not sure if that is ok to add, since it is shot from a mountain and not a drone/plane/etc)!

I know what you mean, but it's still an aerial shot, it doesn't matter how it was achieved.

I have now filled in that there are no people in the picture, but now I have a question regarding images with people in it: My understanding is that if people are not recognizable in an image I do not need a model release to sell it, right? Can I just enter "No" in the box asking if I have model releases for all people visible if none of them are recognizable or does this affect my images negatively?

You don't need a model release to sell an image with recognisable people in, it just cannot be used for advertising purposes by clients. I mark the optional information in AIM about how many people are in the image and whether or not I have a model release. If you want to make extra sure, then mark the image as Editorial only.

https://www.alamy.com/help/what-is-model-release-property-release.aspx

Some of the optional information is searchable - e.g. property or model release (yes/no), clients can search for images with 0 people in or 3 people in etc.

Edited by Steve F

7 hours ago, Steve F said:

If you want to make extra sure, then mark the image as Editorial only.

And now, since the makeover, clients who only search within 'Editorial' will only find them there if you do check that box. I wonder if such clients exist though just as I wonder if any would search solely within either Ultimate, Vital, Uncut or Foundation. Since the whole emphasis of the redesign is to persuade them to do so then Alamy are hoping that they will I suppose.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

And now, since the makeover, clients who only search within 'Editorial' will only find them there if you do check that box. I wonder if such clients exist though just as I wonder if any would search solely within either Ultimate, Vital, Uncut or Foundation. Since the whole emphasis of the redesign is to persuade them to do so then Alamy are hoping that they will I suppose.

I hope they don't exist, because I haven't marked any of my images as Editorial. So far though, no negative trend in my sales, so I guess clients generally aren't searching in Editorial. Or not my clients anyway!