search engine outage earlier?

Hi,

Just thought I'd mention that for about 10-15 minutes just now, the search engine appears to not have been working? Tried various simple terms and it kept coming back with the 'we have no results for your search' message. Seems to be back working now, so perhaps an update happening, but thought I'd mention.  

It could be a persistent filter.

Using another browser, that one would not have it. And closing Chrome and opening it again could have cleared the filter.

It would be really useful if there was a big warning somewhere about which filters are still being active.

wim

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I find that I often forget to clear the "same contributor" filter and think that the search engine has crashed. Everything about the new filters is a pain in the .... 🙊

I find it very frustrating, as well. I never choose the "same contributor" filter, but it's applied every once in a while and I really can't get the pattern - it's definitely there for the first search of the day, though ...

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov
  • Like 1

The 'same contributor' filter is applied if you click on the number of images for a contributor on this forum and it seems to be 'sticky' at least on Chrome. For example if I filter by entering a contributor name at the bottom of the side panel then that filter remains in force unless I clear it, which is probably quite useful. However if you start a fresh search from the manic home page then it is cleared. The same is not true of this 'same contributor' filter, it's there still, so it looks like a bug to me, albeit a bug that only affects members of the forum. 

I've only tried it on Chrome.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

The 'same contributor' filter is applied if you click on the number of images for a contributor on this forum and it seems to be 'sticky' at least on Chrome. For example if I filter by entering a contributor name at the bottom of the side panel then that filter remains in force unless I clear it, which is probably quite useful. However if you start a fresh search from the manic home page then it is cleared. The same is not true of this 'same contributor' filter, it's there still, so it looks like a bug to me, albeit a bug that only affects members of the forum. 

I've only tried it on Chrome.

I'm on Chrome and your point makes sense. It's kinda explanatory, at least for me...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

I find it very frustrating, as well. I never choose the "same contributor" filter, but it's applied every once in a while and I really can't get the pattern - it's definitely there for the first search of the day, though ...

Yes, the filter just seems to pop out of nowhere. Took me awhile to figure out was going on since I never choose it as well. Glad I'm not a photo researcher. It must be even more frustrating for them.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the replies. I had not consciously applied any filters but suspect I had done what Harry said the day before, except not on the forum but on the general search engine.

(Background was a very common London related search term and I wanted to check if, as I suspected, a lot of mostly very old images come up first on page 1. That proved to be true, unacceptably so I would say, they may once have been best sellers, but they were all so visibly out of date and the new ones with correct skyline etc. were not mixed into the 1st page - pretty p*ss poor result. Checking a few of those images and the contributors who provided them by clicking on that contributor's name, it turned out they were often people who had last uploaded images years ago, many with smallish collections that didn't seem very curated. So it may be as some suspected in other threads, perhaps those contributors on 20% are mixed in disproportionately. Would figure for Alamy to give the cashflow a breather, those contributors may not even need to be paid for a long time, if the sales from their small portfolios don't make it past the threshold for many months)

• Love 1

36 minutes ago, imageplotter said:

except not on the forum but on the general search engine.

In that case it will be affecting picture researchers as well so I'm wrong to say it was just forum members. Alamy should probably look at it because at least we can share our observations on here, they'll get no such help.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

In that case it will be affecting picture researchers as well so I'm wrong to say it was just forum members. Alamy should probably look at it because at least we can share our observations on here, they'll get no such help.

I don't know. I would have been logged in to both the forum and my alamy account at the time, so not sure if that influences it or not.

• Like 1