Can't search on my iPhone

This was happening when the new homepage was introduced but it was corrected. Now it is back. If I search or go to my bookmarks to my images I get "Application error: a client-side exception has occurred" I don't know what that means. Are other people having the same problem? I'm using Safari. Should I be contacting Alamy?

Paulette

34 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Now it is back.

I've always got this error on my old Ipad Mini 2 using (obsolete) iOS 12.5.5 and it has never gone away but I didn't think it was worth reporting (though it doesn't have a problem with any of the competitions' Stock image websites). However when you first reported it I checked and I didn't get it on my Iphone SE 1st Gen. running iOS 15.5, and I still don't. It would be interesting to know what is causing it.

From the internet:

Explanation

The message "Application error: a client-side exception has occurred (see the browser console for more information)" indicates a JavaScript error. Basically, the website you are trying to load has been badly coded and does not conform to the standards your browser expects.

52 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

From the internet:

Explanation

The message "Application error: a client-side exception has occurred (see the browser console for more information)" indicates a JavaScript error. Basically, the website you are trying to load has been badly coded and does not conform to the standards your browser expects.

So Alamy is badly coded. Somehow I was expecting something like that. I’m tempted to get all sarcastic and blame that for sales prices, etc. but I’m still actually rather fond of Alamy and hoping all glitches are resolved soon. 

Paulette

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NYCat said:

So Alamy is badly coded

Well to be fair, if it went away for you then it may be only a temporary glitch. I'm assuming that you have an Iphone running the latest iOS (15.5, 16?) so they should definitely make it work for you, but then it works for me on my Iphone so it is a mystery. Have you tried Chrome?

I have an old iPhone 6plus that won't take the latest OS. I'll eventually get a new one as I am interested in the photo capabilities. I've resisted Chrome because too much Google. I finally succumbed to Gmail but still resisting Chrome. Stubborn old biddy I am.

Paulette

13 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I have an old iPhone 6plus that won't take the latest OS

That'll be it then, it's stuck in the past like my Ipad Mini with iOS 12.5.5. As I said above, it's a shame that alamy.com doesn't work on it because all the other big competitor sites do but there we are. I'm very pleasantly surprised that my tiny 1st Gen. Iphone SE still gets the latest updates and I see that the 6s Plus does also, might be worth a look. Batteries are the problem though but Apple don't charge a huge amount to change them. 

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

On my MacBook. I figure that it's a glitch which may clear up soon.

I'm guessing that you've got a modern Macbook Ed, you should probably report that to contributors@alamy.com because picture buyers may well be having the same problem. I get a blank page when searching on my old Imac but I don't think Alamy are going to be concerned about that.

I've owned 3 MacBooks in the past 4 years. My year-old M1 Air is fab and lightyears ahead of the others. The MacBook Pro I got after the fire on Mulberry Street was recalled by Apple when I got to Spain. They kept it for almost 2 months, so I bought a MacBook Air. Both those laptops continued to have problems. My M1 has so far had zero problems. I don't believe the search on Alamy is a Mac problem. And anyway, it's not a sucking chest wound; no reason to panic. 

My best to you and Oxfordshire, Harry. 

FWIW, the same error message comes up when searching in Firefox release 64.0 on Windows 7 so it's not just an iPhone or Mac problem. The latest version of Firefox (release 102) is fine. Firefox 64 was released in December 2018 so it's old but not ancient.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

FWIW, the same error message comes up when searching in Firefox release 64.0 on Windows 7 so it's not just an iPhone or Mac problem. The latest version of Firefox (release 102) is fine. Firefox 64 was released in December 2018 so it's old but not ancient.

OT, why v64? Win7 here too but FF is now on v103.

I emailed Alamy about not being able to search on my iPhone and got this answer...."We would recommend that you update to the most current IOS as this is likely to be more compatible with the search on our site." I will have to get a new phone to do that. I want one but not right now. Since it worked before I know this is because they changed something but just another one of those things making Alamy less and less and less. They still haven't done anything about "Same contributor" not showing the same subject.

Paulette

Apparently the Safari IOS is the same as the iPhone IOS and I have gone as far as I can go at 12.5.5. I do want a new phone but am still learning on my new MacBook Pro and subscription version of Lightroom. It takes me forever to get comfortable with new stuff.

Paulette