Considering buying new 24" iMac

Just to add that if you are registered for VAT ( or thinking about it) and on the Flat Rate scheme and if you spend more than £2000 at one time on kit you can claim the VAT back.  So spending more can mean you spend less! 

The Flat rate scheme is very easy and it means that Alamy adds VAT to your payments to you - you then hand 16.5/20ths to HMRC and on this scheme can only claim back for expenditure over the £2000 I mentioned.

Edited by geogphotos

9 hours ago, Jansos said:

Many thanks for such a thorough and considered response - very much appreciated. I agree with you about RAM, future proofing is a really good idea if affordable. Also, the external SSD drive makes a lot of sense. Still not sure as to whether to splash out on 27 inch as opposed to 24 inch. Decisions, decisions.... 🙂

Don't mention it. It's actually quite easy to understand the Mac universe now as the options are very straightforward. 

In relation to the monitor, you don't need a 27" monitor. It's very nice to use a 27" for the visual impact and extra screen space but a 24" will also be a jump from a 21" and will certainly feel like an upgrade. Nor do you actually need an Eizo or a BenQ. These are the brands that have become the standards for image post-processing but there are others (I believe). The high end Eizo monitors are highly colour accurate and uniform across the screen which is why I love Eizo.

Come to think of it, nor do you need to calibrate your monitor. I think it is essential to do so if you are producing material for clients and/or for printing and very advisable for anyone in the digital imaging world but it is not a requirement if most or all of what you are doing is submitting the sort of material in your portfolio (mostly street shots of buildings) to Alamy or other stock sites. Colour accuracy is most important for portraiture (skin tones) and highly desirable for some types of nature photography (e.g. flowers), not so much for buildings and general street shots. It is a bit silly to get a high end monitor and not calibrate it though.

So my advice would be to make sure the computer you get is future proof as that can't be changed after purchase and get whatever monitor you are happy with.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MDM said:

So my advice would be to make sure the computer you get is future proof as that can't be changed after purchase and get whatever monitor you are happy with.

Great advice and suggestions. Thanks a bunch. 🙂