Distro opt out waste of time with affiliate

I recently had an affiliate licence for "world wide usage". As I have opted out of allot of countries on the distribution list asked A how that works. Here is the reply. 

"Hi Andrew,

That is correct, the affiliate scheme is a different scheme to the distribution scheme.

The countries you have opted out of for distribution won’t affect an affiliate sale.

Kind regards

Ellie"

So it appears contributors wishes yet again can be got around. Anybody else had this.

Andy 🤬

No but you have got me worried now as this can be open to abuse by you know who.

Allan

I will let you know what I mean privately.  Via closed FB chat.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

This doesn't make sense to me. Though I must admit it doesn't affect me directly.

I am aware that some stock agency contracts require territorial exclusivity. It is unfair on the Alamy contributor who does the right thing and  blocks certain distributors in certain countries if an anonymous affiliate can just walk all over that agreement. 

And who gets the blame when there is a breach of contract with the other agency - I am sure that Alamy won't take any responsibility?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

This doesn't make sense to me. Though I must admit it doesn't affect me directly.

I am aware that some stock agency contracts require territorial exclusivity. It is unfair on the Alamy contributor who does the right thing and  blocks certain distributors in certain countries if an anonymous affiliate can just walk all over that agreement. 

And who gets the blame when there is a breach of contract with the other agency - I am sure that Alamy won't take any responsibility?

But an Affiliate sale is an Alamy sale, it's just one where client was referred to Alamy through some link,  we have never been able to restrict where Alamy can licence our images.  So i don't see how anyone is circumventing anything.  Are people suggesting that distributor also have affiliate links to Alamy on their site for when an image is being blocked by restrictions? 

5 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

But an Affiliate sale is an Alamy sale, it's just one where client was referred to Alamy through some link,  we have never been able to restrict where Alamy can licence our images.  So i don't see how anyone is circumventing anything.  Are people suggesting that distributor also have affiliate links to Alamy on their site for when an image is being blocked by restrictions? 

Okay, apologies. I didn't realise that. I thought that it was possible to add restrictions ( not just distributors) to restrict Alamy direct sales to certain territories and markets. 

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Okay, apologies. I didn't realise that. I thought that it was possible to add restrictions ( not just distributors) to restrict Alamy direct sales to certain territories and markets. 

Not that i ever found, to my knowledge the only thing we can control is the type of licences and usage... maybe Alamy can comment if it is possible.