Manfrotto MVG 220 Gimbal off its head!

I've just acquired this gimbal, done all the balancing (I think) and took a test video, all OK and then it started to slightly nod up and down making a clicking sound. Powered off and then tried again - same thing, I'm new to this gimballing thing - any suggestions?

I do not know this item but took a look at the blurb copied here.

• Easy shooting control: on the LCD touch screen or from the App
  • Indipendent locking: each axis is equipped with a lock
  • Quick installation system without levelling
  • Different modes: TikTok Portrait, Selfie, Inception, Time-lapse
  • Detachable handle included for different shooting options

Could it be something to do with that lot?

Alternative ask supplier/manufacturer.

Allan

I'm a fairly novice gimbal user myself but I have learned most of what I know on YouTube. There are several help videos for your gimbal on there.

I have a Weebil-S which seems to be the most popular of the light gimbals and am not familiar with Manfrottos. At a guess, assuming you have it properly balanced (not a given as this is difficult for the novice for sure), it is probably something to do with the settings for the motors.

There is a very steep learning curve in using a gimbal properly, not least learning the infamous gimbal walk as well as all the various modes and settings. And then there is the backache. Best of luck.

Edited by MDM

Thanks to both of you Allan and MDM. Yes, I realise I have a very steep learning curve ahead! The manual is incredibly badly written and the App with which you are supposed to upgrade the firmware doesn't work and it doesn't even recognise the Fuji brand even though there is a compatibility chart that includes Fujifilm.

278569929_118755837462880_66660059010143

I did find out the cause of the clicking though, all by myself! Best to unlock the axis first before filming! The photography equivalent of driving with the handbrake on. I daresay it will not be the last of my problems!

Back soon!

1 hour ago, Celluloid Hero said:

Thanks to both of you Allan and MDM. Yes, I realise I have a very steep learning curve ahead! The manual is incredibly badly written and the App with which you are supposed to upgrade the firmware doesn't work and it doesn't even recognise the Fuji brand even though there is a compatibility chart that includes Fujifilm.

I did find out the cause of the clicking though, all by myself! Best to unlock the axis first before filming! The photography equivalent of driving with the handbrake on. I daresay it will not be the last of my problems!

Back soon!

More like driving a car with the steering lock on as the gimbal needs freedom to move or it doesn’t work properly. Mine beeps loudly when I turn it on with an axis lock on. Apparently it is not very good for the gimbal either. 

14 hours ago, wiskerke said:

The Manfrotto seems to be a rebranded Feiyutech AK2000s. Here is the original manual of the AK2000s and here are some how-to videos. Don't know if they're any better.

There are lots of videos on youtube for both brands.

wim

Yes indeed they have the exact same basic specs. Manfrotto only entered the gimbal arena in summer 2020 it seems. 

Edited by MDM

14 hours ago, wiskerke said:

The Manfrotto seems to be a rebranded Feiyutech AK2000s. Here is the original manual of the AK2000s and here are some how-to videos. Don't know if they're any better.

There are lots of videos on youtube for both brands.

wim

Thanks for that - yes the Feiyutech manual is my Manfrotto virtually down to the last screw! Thanks for the video links, it increases my "how to" library. Just wish the blinking App would work, it's like someone created it, got distracted and walked off and left it half-cocked 😀