Stock Needs

MBremner

Question

I was looking through the list of what stock photography is needed. Chino, California is on the list. How do I know what they are looking for?

Another stock need listed is yearbooks. Does Alamy want a picture of year books, pictures in the yearbook, or do they want someone looking through a yearbook?

Naloxone Medication used to treat opioid overdose - I have this - does Alamy want a product shot of this or someone using it?

Any feedback is appreciated

5 answers to this question

Chino: all the landmarks, key buildings, retail, restaurants, with & without people, road signs etc etc.

Yearbooks: yes to all your suggestions.

Naloxone: yes to both your suggestions.

12 hours ago, MBremner said:

I was looking through the list of what stock photography is needed. Chino, California is on the list. How do I know what they are looking for?

Another stock need listed is yearbooks. Does Alamy want a picture of year books, pictures in the yearbook, or do they want someone looking through a yearbook?

Naloxone Medication used to treat opioid overdose - I have this - does Alamy want a product shot of this or someone using it?

Any feedback is appreciated

the list is a mix of client requests at one point in time- not sure Alamy ever removes one, gaps identified by Alamy rep, and other such thing.   

I have asked additional info from Alamy a few times, and it always comes back as, "what is there is what we have".   

Naloxone - 446 images on Alamy.

Have a look here first to see if yours are as good as or better.

Then have a look at All of Alamy or AoA for short.

If you set the date as far back as possible, and enter %Naloxone% in the search box, this is the result for the rolling year:

naloxone 11
naloxone scotland 2
naloxone kit 2
naloxone spray 2
naloxone nasal 1
naloxone UK 1
naloxone ambulance scotland 1
naloxone overdose 1
naloxone usa 1
naloxone%20scotland 1
naloxone–we 1
Naloxone Durham 1
naloxone nasal spray 1
naloxone overdose kit 1
naloxone uk 1
naloxone patient 1
naloxone pharmacy 1

Then the question is: is this demand enough to warrant the upload of your own images of Naloxone?

You don't need the Stock Needs tool to go looking for a subject that hasn't been covered to death.

Check All of Alamy on a regular basis and find subjects that return less than 100 images. 100 images is one page. So your images will show on that important first page.

Now if/when your images are better than the rest, they will find buyers. Better is not always more beautiful. Better is better suited to the client's needs.

Aaaand the keywords must be perfect otherwise no client will see the images. For this too, take a good look at All of Alamy from time to time.

Which brings me to:

@MBremner, make sure you put the location in your keywords, because the location field has not been searchable for many years.

And put the location in your caption too. This is not microstock. Not all of it anyway. Maybe make it a supertag (click on that star next to the keyword in the image manager).

As a starting contributor you will have a pretty good rank. Don't throw it away with pretty sunsets. (Unless they appear in the first 3 rows of page 1 for a search for sunset. Not impossible: you're at #2 for a 30,845 image result for Zen Sunset.)

Try %sunset% in All of Alamy:

3500 searches for the rolling year. That's good!

Now scroll down a couple of pages to see what sort of sunsets clients are looking for.

Maybe download a whole year as an Excel sheet. Some subjects will only become apparent when seen as a long list, because every search may be just a tad different, so they're not adding up to a significant number.

Try %dana point%.

While you're at it, check AoA for locations you have easy access to. Now check the same keywords on Alamy for what's there already. Think you can do it better? Or just know better keywords? Go take those images and put them online.

Locations, not only as in that beach, but also a school; office; garden; zoo; nice people; airport; shops; a nice high roof or anything else you have access to and are able to take meaningful images, where others can not. It could also mean a subject of which you happen to know a lot more of than the average photographer. Bicycle racing? Knitting? Helping people with disabilities? Building motorcycles? Building houses? Managing a harbor? Managing a household? Training prize kittens? Training a baseball team? Teaching math? You get the drift. Just anything you know how to do; not just know what it's called.

wim

Edited by wiskerke
typo
  • Love 1
  • Like 4

What Wim says. This succinct and short post is the essence of what we do. Alamy shoudl put this in their blog, or pin it somewhere. And to the OP, don't forget that your backyard is someone's dream destination, so go out and cover thinking of with Wim's excellent advice.