Alamy giving my image away free

Mark Baigent

Question

Hi all

I have just had an image sold for $0, I have emailed to ask why but no reply.

Sale: 19 Jan 2022 #AD0B7K RM $0

Is this happening to other  photographers?

Edited by Mark Baigent
typo

12 answers to this question

It could be a sale that rounds off to zero because it's for less than fifty cents. Check the details. 

Like every agency I've dealt with, Alamy has the right to use your work for nothing in its ads. While none of my images have (to my knowledge) been used by Alamy, other agencies have and this can be VERY profitable for the photographer.

The story is in the details - keep us posted.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brian Yarvin said:

It could be a sale that rounds off to zero because it's for less than fifty cents. Check the details. 

Like every agency I've dealt with, Alamy has the right to use your work for nothing in its ads. While none of my images have (to my knowledge) been used by Alamy, other agencies have and this can be VERY profitable for the photographer.

The story is in the details - keep us posted.

You are correct, it was a 15 cents sale rounded down. That is a first for me, I had a bunch for the same price but only this was rounded down.
Thanks Brian.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2022 at 00:56, Mark Baigent said:

Hi all

I have just had an image sold for $0, I have emailed to ask why but no reply.

Sale: 19 Jan 2022 #AD0B7K RM $0

Is this happening to other  photographers?

Yes ! I had the same problem. 6 images were sold at 15 cents per piece which means I get $0 to buyers from China. Alamy is giving it away for free. 

I am having the exact same issue. A sale this week for $0 was sold in Germany. A few weeks ago 20 cents in China. My guess it is third party buyers either pulling off a scam for cheap images, or Alamy really needs to take a look and raise that bulk price. The enormous amount of hours put into this upload is worth more than $0, even to Alamy. It would be great if they continue to operate as Alamy did from the beginning, by photographers, for photographers. Why through my research when going into stock, I chose Alamy. I did have reservations when they were sold. Business are sold all the time. And the commission going from 50/50 to 40/60. $0. Seems to me unethical and bad business, for the photographers, not Alamy or the buyer. 

• Love 1
  • Like 3

On 12/02/2022 at 10:50, Filip Jedraszak said:

Can we opt out of these cheap sales?

I wish we could.  I have opted out of Novel Use (which can only be done in April if previously opted in). Nowadays the licences do not report whether or not the image was licensed under the Novel Use scheme, but I am hoping the opt out will at least reduce the amount of near zero dollar sales. 

I recently had a Rights Managed designated image licensed for Royalty Free use, and for less than one dollar. Alamy think they can grant RF licences under Novel Use, even if the image has been designated as RM by the contributor, which is another reason for having opted out of Novel Use. 

Graham

• Like 1

I opted out of “Novel use”: it is a form of exploitation of one's own images.  I am pondering whether to also exit “Distribution”: it has happened to me several times to ask Alamy for a credit recovery for a photo sold  from one of their distributors but not paid for.

On 03/04/2022 at 07:04, Graham said:

I wish we could.  I have opted out of Novel Use (which can only be done in April if previously opted in).

Where is that done please, I am probably missing the obvious but I can't find the opt out.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mark Baigent said:

Where is that done please, I am probably missing the obvious but I can't find the opt out.

on your dashboard:

"Additional Revenue Options" ...  expand with the down thingy

2nd one is "Novel Use" ....  click on it....  OPT OUT button should be there.  

• Like 1

On 16/04/2022 at 18:03, meanderingemu said:

on your dashboard:

"Additional Revenue Options" ...  expand with the down thingy

2nd one is "Novel Use" ....  click on it....  OPT OUT button should be there.  

Thanks, found it and opted out.

• Like 3