Lightroom Query

ReeRay

Question

Just acquired a Mac Book and looking at a mass of blind folders in Lightroom 4.4 and wonder is there a quick way of selecting and identifying all at once?

I have the catalogue on an external H/D and can find folders and locate images per single folder but wonder if a mass selection is available.

Thanks for any advise

14 answers to this question

18 hours ago, ReeRay said:

Just acquired a Mac Book and looking at a mass of blind folders in Lightroom 4.4 and wonder is there a quick way of selecting and identifying all at once?

I have the catalogue on an external H/D and can find folders and locate images per single folder but wonder if a mass selection is available.

Thanks for any advise

Not entirely sure what your question is. If you go to All Photographs in the top of the left panel and then use the metadata search columns configured to whatever it is you are looking for, there are multiple ways of identifying photos. 

Edited by Sally

30 minutes ago, Sally said:

Not entirely sure what your question is. If you go to All Photographs in the top of the left panel and then use the metadata search columns configured to whatever it is you are looking for, there are multiple ways of identifying photos. 

Sally - thanks for that. What I am trying to do is to select ALL the folders that have a ? mark against them meaning cannot locate photographs . I can choose individual folders and locate but I want to know how I can choose ALL the folders in one go and fill them with the relevant images. Choosing one folder at a time over 13 years worth of images is going to take me forever as you imagine. I do believe there is a way to overcome this though.

27 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

What I am trying to do is to select ALL the folders that have a ? mark against them meaning cannot locate photographs .

Is there a structure to these folders? If Lightroom loses its bearings because an archive structure has been moved wholesale then pointing to the parent should fix everything below provided the structure hasn't changed. Quite possibly not addressing your problem though.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Harry Harrison said:

Is there a structure to these folders? If Lightroom loses its bearings because an archive structure has been moved wholesale then pointing to the parent should fix everything below provided the structure hasn't changed. Quite possibly not addressing your problem though.

There is a structure but it's that which I can't figure how to use/select and point all at once to my external H/D containing the images

Mark

I import my images in date taken order. What I now see is all the dates shown correctly but ? against each one indicating"find missing Folder"

How do I mass find the missing folders as opposed to locating each one individually ?

Thank

7 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

This is the correct answer. You only need to locate the top level or parent folder, point to that and the catalog should be able to locate all of the subfolders beneath it.  I don't know if you need to have the Show Photos in Subfolders option checked for this to work as I always have that checked. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

The problems I experienced seemed to come from using migration assistant to copy all over from my iMac to the Macbook.  Whatever happened denied me the ability to locate the folders en-masse. I uninstalled and reinstalled direct and all became available and is now fine. 

8 hours ago, ReeRay said:

The problems I experienced seemed to come from using migration assistant to copy all over from my iMac to the Macbook.  Whatever happened denied me the ability to locate the folders en-masse. I uninstalled and reinstalled direct and all became available and is now fine. 

Ah yes - Migration Assistant appears to me to be far more trouble than it is worth in most cases. Far easier to install everything from scratch on a new computer.

10 hours ago, ReeRay said:

Out of curiosity, was that just an uninstall and reinstall of LR, or did you do a complete uninstall and reinstall of Mac OS and all your apps and data?

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

25 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Out of curiosity, was that just an uninstall and reinstall of LR, or did you do a complete uninstall and reinstall of Mac OS and all your apps and data?

Mark

Just LR uninstall and reinstall

OK that makes sense. The Apple Migration Assistant won't have delved inside the LR catalogue to update it with the new location of you your images. Strange that LR also lost the ability to find the whole tree of folders if pointed at the root though. Useful to know. Thanks.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman