Using Hashtags During Keywording

While I am no longer uploading new photos, I am letting my existing ones ride but wondering about the use of the hashtag during keywording.  Maybe I should add hashtags to the existing photos. 

For example, a lot of my photos are of protests so I have obviously used the keyword protest but should I also keyword it as #protest? Will it make a difference in terms of search engines? Will it make a difference in terms of searches on Alamy?

14 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

What does the hash symbol add? Would the search engine even detect it?

Not sure as I don't use Twitter or other technology that uses them.  I noticed that when Alamy puts out a call for photos on our contributors page that the keywords have the hashtag before them (e.g. today is a call for photos on activism and look at how they have the keywords with the hashtag behind them).  Without going into my age/ignorance about hashtags, I am wondering if it matters at all if I add a hashtag to the keywords while simultaneously having keywords stand on their own.  It may be my own technological ignorance being put on display here but maybe others have the same question.

Same here, I thought that since you were asking the question you knew about it. As a rule, non- alphanumeric characters are simply ignored in search, but if "#" has some special significance it may not be.

One or two contributors here have included "#spacecadet" in replies to my posts but I don't know why.

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

Just did a search for '#protest' on the main Alamy page and got 2,561 results, as opposed to 2,183,195 for just 'protest'. I'm struggling to see what marks out these 2,561 images, can't see a hashtag anywhere.

Maybe it is in their keywords? In which case the answer to the OP is clear.

AoA has no ##. So there's only one way to find out: include # in one of your images and search for it next day.

wim

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Maybe it is in their keywords? In which case the answer to the OP is clear.

Well maybe, so the hashtag is stripped out before the keywords are displayed. Only in a spot check some don't have 'protest' as a keyword, for example 2ATX9G1 only has 'protest' in 'More information' which I've understood was not searchable. In that case the caption was an automatically truncated version of the content of 'More information'. S2TXAX appear to only have a single keyword (the S word) and no mention of 'protest' at all.

Edited by Harry Harrison

Well, I give up I think. Searching for #climatechange brings up 2,336 images, all broadly on the theme of the environment but as far as I can see not containing either '#climatechange' or even 'climatechange' in caption or keywords. For example 2DGA8E9. What on earth is being searched on?

2 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Well, I give up I think. Searching for #climatechange brings up 2,336 images, all broadly on the theme of the environment but as far as I can see not containing either '#climatechange' or even 'climatechange' in caption or keywords. For example 2DGA8E9. What on earth is being searched on?

interesting.  

i just searched from "#215"

19 results

Majority actually have #215 in caption

3 have "no.215"

2 have absolutely nothing linked to 215, including one with no numbers whatsoever.  

8 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

interesting.  

i just searched from "#215"

Indeed it is interesting, I did your search and one of the results is GKT519, a map. '215' doesn't  figure in the caption or keywords, but it is on the map itself in two places. Is the Alamy search now reading the images as well, as Google does?

• Love 1