Date Taken - Wrongly attributed during upload to Alamy

Nick Harrison

Question

Having uploaded thousands of photos, assuming that the 'Date Taken' under the Optional tab loaded the actual date taken from the photo metadata, I have discovered that it is not taking the correct date.  During initial uploads the dates seemed to be correct.  But now the dates are usually several years out - I have back checked and the correct date is retained in the image metadata.  The only anomaly I can think of is that I use 'file info' templates in Photoshop and Bridge - and that Alamy is possibly taking the date that a template is created, which is very odd

Otherwise, does anyone have any suggestions of how the 'Date Taken' under the Optional tab can be made to adopt the correct date from the image when uploaded ? 

5 answers to this question

There are three date tags in the exif data -

'Date Digitized' = XMP::xmp\CreateDate\CreateDate\0

'Date Created' = XMP::photoshop\DateCreated\DateCreated\0 

'Date Modified' = XMP::xmp\ModifyDate\ModifyDate\0

I'm not sure which Alamy uses, though definitely not the third.  Assuming the original image was taken with a digital camera then the first two should read the same, the actual date it was taken,  If one or the other is showing the wrong date, then something in your workflow is modifying it.

Failing that, I've no idea!

5 hours ago, Nick Harrison said:

But now the dates are usually several years out

Do the dates displayed mean anything at to you at all, is there a pattern? You probably need to carefully inspect your final jpegs in terms of the three fields that Vincent mentions before uploading them just to be sure that your templates aren't messing anything up. Presumably the date displayed in AIM is the one that is displayed under the image on Alamy itself?

Thanks both

I have investigated further and I think the templates I have been creating and copying in Photoshop and Bridge have assigned a creation date perhaps based on when the template was initially created and saved.  Although I have created a new test template and the date does not vary from the correct date.

I will aim to replace all of the existing 'file info' templates based a new base template with no saved date in the template (now having the task of copying over specific info and keywords - but if that solves the problem, then is fine)

I will test further and see how an upload to Alamy goes

Thanks for your advice in getting me this far - hopefully to solving the issue

This was happening to me and it was because of using a file info template for the metadata. When I chose a file info in Photoshop to use, it asked me if I wanted to append or replace the metadata. Replace is the correct answer.

Append was giving me the wrong date.