Nikon Z fc .. any good?

I just wondered if anyone out there is using a Nikon Z fc for street / stock shots?

I've probably already got more cameras and lenses than anyone really needs (a couple of D850s, Df etc, mainly for my commercial work) but I was thinking of something much smaller for those days where I don't want to lug a load of kit around with me or I'm just popping to the shops but don't want to miss a stock photo opportunity :)

Would love to hear if anyone has any 'real world' experience of this camera.

I’m guessing you will be waiting a while for a first hand user account as this camera is mostly about the physical design- the retro knobs etc (in other words it is something of a show camera). No doubt it produces great images but it is Z DX format so a bit of a dead end for someone like yourself who will probably be going full frame when and if you take the real Z plunge (Nikon announced the Z9 today). For what it’s worth, the almost universal consensus here for a carry anywhere camera is one of the RX100 series. The image quality and specs are astonishing considering how tiny these cameras are. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

Assuming that your lenses are FX and you'd need a new one to match the Z fc then why not consider a Fuji X-T2,3,4. They pioneered this style of mirrorless APS-C camera with the X-T1 back in 2012. The Z fc looks overly fussy in design, rather cramped and difficult to hold, something for hipster vloggers rather than serious street photography. The Z fc has quite a modest viewfinder magnification by today's standards, 0.68x v 0.77 for the Fujis. Certainly worth comparing the two in a shop.

• Like 1

If you are into landscape, plant photography you may well have problems processing images from the Fuji Xtrans sensor. I tried it for some time and eventually had to give up with fuji simply for that sensor as I was not passing QC due to blur.

Pity because I liked the camera and lenses but it just did not produce the quality I wanted. If only they had used the Bayer sensor I would still be with them.

Allan

This is just my experience and I know others have stuck with Fuji as you will see from the following posts.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

I have just brought the Nikon Z50 with the 16-50mm and 50-250mm lens. The Z50 and Zfc are technically the same the only difference is that the Z50 has a flash,  hand grip and non articulating monitor while the Zfc has the articulating monitor.

The camera is very light with the small lens on and will be fine for street photography.  I have attached my 200-500 5.6 on it and have taken some bird shots with this combo.

I have yet to upload images to Alamy yet but I don't see any problems with the image size .

The difference is price is quite steep..In Canada the Zfc  is $500 more than the Z50.  

Good luck deciding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DerekVallintine said:

I have just brought the Nikon Z50 with the 16-50mm and 50-250mm lens. The Z50 and Zfc are technically the same the only difference is that the Z50 has a flash,  hand grip and non articulating monitor while the Zfc has the articulating monitor.

The camera is very light with the small lens on and will be fine for street photography.  I have attached my 200-500 5.6 on it and have taken some bird shots with this combo.

I have yet to upload images to Alamy yet but I don't see any problems with the image size .

The difference is price is quite steep..In Canada the Zfc  is $500 more than the Z50.  

Good luck deciding.

Thanks for that .. really useful to know. Yes there is quite a price difference for esentially the same spec.  Cheers.

3 hours ago, DerekVallintine said:

In Canada the Zfc  is $500 more than the Z50

Odd, in the UK the Z50 with FTZ adaptor is £929 whereas the Zfc is £899, both body only  of course. Mind you they are both 'awaiting stock' at the suppliers I checked. The 16-50 kit lens adds just £20 to the price of the Z50. I wonder if those prices would be different if they actually had any.

https://www.parkcameras.com/cameras/mirrorless-cameras/nikon/