Big Sur 11.5 update

CAROL SAUNDERS

Question

19 answers to this question

Not yet but more importantly in relation to you, did you sort out your password problem from some weeks back? If not then I would not recommend updating the system until you get that sorted.

I forget the details now without reading the original thread but you might get locked out of the computer if it won’t accept your login password. Have you restarted the computer since then?  If it was me, I would use the AppleID method to reset the password if possible. 

On my two macBooks, the older pro is still on Catalina 10.15.7 — the newer M1 Air is on the original Big Sur. There's no wifi in my building anymore. I run everything on the Personal Hotspot on my iPhone. I can't do any updates with the hotspot. The Apple Store still won't let me hang out there. I'll be going to the Central Library soon to update things. I'm not in a rush because as things are I can function. I do all my Adobe CC editing and Alamy uploads on the Air. It's very fast and I have no problems with that. My online stuff, like now, I'm usually on the pro. 

2 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hi thank you Michael, a good point - no I didn't manage to sort it out, it still won't let me change the password.  I thought that maybe if I did the update it may sort things out but maybe not.  🙃

Carol

I just did the update with no problem. You need the login password to start the installation and again when it restarts after completion so you would not be able to do it unless it accepts your existing password which seems unlikely. You should really do the password reset following the Apple guidance (links in other thread).

OK - wow I can't believe it's sorted - well the password bit anyway, I haven't done the update yet, I will leave that until tomorrow.  I was seriously on the verge of losing it🙃 Anyway we tried the recovery thing again and this time it seemed to work - we did it through I don't know what, I had to press option/command/R whilst restarting, that wasn't easy my fingers just about managed it with one hand whilst I pressed the power button with the other, then went into something called Terminal and reset password etc., etc. now it seems I can change things in security and settings if I want.  I think I will do the update tomorrow as I'm knackered and hungry now and need a glass of wine or six😉

I must just trying restarting everything first😉

Thanks again for your help 

Carol

• Like 1

Good you got it sorted at last Carol. What you did to reset it is exactly what is described in the link I posted in the other thread so you could have saved yourself quite some time by just reading and following those instructions from Apple but perhaps you were not confident to do it without being talked through it.

The thing to realise here is that it would not be the end of the world if it didn’t work as long as you had your data backed up. The bottom line would be a reinstall which is neither difficult nor scary. The Mac is just a machine and a pretty easy one to control at that. So that update should really not be a cause for fear. 

Carol, you and I should really start a help organization. “Computer User Recovery” After all there is one for alcoholics, one for families of users, and probably many more. Surely we need one for  computer users who tremble in fear when asked to do anything more than hit the Start button.
I vote MDM as the President. He gets no choice, he has to do it!

• Love 1

3 hours ago, MDM said:

Good you got it sorted at last Carol. What you did to reset it is exactly what is described in the link I posted in the other thread so you could have saved yourself quite some time by just reading and following those instructions from Apple but perhaps you were not confident to do it without being talked through it.

The thing to realise here is that it would not be the end of the world if it didn’t work as long as you had your data backed up. The bottom line would be a reinstall which is neither difficult nor scary. The Mac is just a machine and a pretty easy one to control at that. So that update should really not be a cause for fear. 

Yes pleased that part is sorted now and yes you are correct, it is definitely a confidence thing most definitely - I found your instructions also that I had printed out previously, it was more of a spur of the moment thing I got onto Apple support.  The first time I was through to them on my Mac then thought probably not a good idea as I knew it would involve a restart and I would lose them, so then contacted them on the iPad using the same case number which did work although a different person - poor soul landing up with me😀  It was when the mouse and cursor froze, my mind just went blank, not for the first time but hopefully if it happens again I will be a little more confident...

I will do the update tomorrow🙏 and again thank you again for always being there for myself and Betty😀

Carol

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Carol, you and I should really start a help organization. “Computer User Recovery” After all there is one for alcoholics, one for families of users, and probably many more. Surely we need one for  computer users who tremble in fear when asked to do anything more than hit the Start button.
I vote MDM as the President. He gets no choice, he has to do it!

Ah Betty I think you are right and yes MDM for President of course.  He has two willing pupils for starters that's for sure, whether he wants them or not is another matter😃😄

Carol

• Like 1

Thanks for the vote of confidence Carol and Betty. I won't take on a formal role but happy to advise anytime.

You have both now successfully used the Terminal App which is a huge step forward in overcoming Mac-related Fear of Failure (MFoF for short).  FoF is a general human condition which has evolutionary advantages and disadvantages. Too little FoF and we become reckless and do things we might regret later, too much FoF and we don't do anything. We humans would never have left Africa if we had been too full of FoF. 

My approach with Macs (and other areas of life as well) is to think about what the worst case scenario would be if I do something and weigh up the probability of that happening. In the case of Mac software, the worst case scenario is having to do a clean install so, once you get over the idea that a clean install is nothing to baulk at, then you overcome the MFoF and off you go - you can do anything with a Mac. Similar principles apply to other life areas. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Carol and Betty. I won't take on a formal role but happy to advise anytime.

You have both now successfully used the Terminal App which is a huge step forward in overcoming Mac-related Fear of Failure (MFoF for short).  FoF is a general human condition which has evolutionary advantages and disadvantages. Too little FoF and we become reckless and do things we might regret later, too much FoF and we don't do anything. We humans would never have left Africa if we had been too full of FoF. 

My approach with Macs (and other areas of life as well) is to think about what the worst case scenario would be if I do something and weigh up the probability of that happening. In the case of Mac software, the worst case scenario is having to do a clean install so, once you get over the idea that a clean install is nothing to baulk at, then you overcome the MFoF and off you go - you can do anything with a Mac. Similar principles apply to other life areas. 

That's an excellent way of describing it Michael and will totally take that on board in all respects.  As you say worst case scenario is having to do a clean install.  

Ok so I'm going to do the update now.  When I booted up this morning however, it did ask me for my password which I have always had disabled, I checked in security and settings and this seems to be disabled there.  However, I know once I do the update it will ask me for my password again, but at least I know it works now !

Carol

OK so the update is done and that seems fine.  However, it seems I still have to log in with my password after booting up in the morning which I find really annoying.  I've gone into system preferences security/privacy clicked the lock to make changes - I can now do this.  Then I've unchecked the box that says require password.  Also gone into users/groups and clicked on my name.  There is a box on r/hand side which says automatic login and then my name.  A box also which says ... display login window as ....either list of users or name and password.  I think firstly it was on name and password to I changed to list of users, but I restarted and it still asks me for the password.  I'm sure it most be the most simple thing I'm missing here - possibly my brain🙃  Any thoughts ??

Carol

2 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

OK so the update is done and that seems fine.  However, it seems I still have to log in with my password after booting up in the morning which I find really annoying.  I've gone into system preferences security/privacy clicked the lock to make changes - I can now do this.  Then I've unchecked the box that says require password.  Also gone into users/groups and clicked on my name.  There is a box on r/hand side which says automatic login and then my name.  A box also which says ... display login window as ....either list of users or name and password.  I think firstly it was on name and password to I changed to list of users, but I restarted and it still asks me for the password.  I'm sure it most be the most simple thing I'm missing here - possibly my brain🙃  Any thoughts ??

Carol

#%@!!! See? That’s the similar stuff I run into, try to solve but don’t. Sometimes Googling it does supply an answer, though.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

#%@!!! See? That’s the similar stuff I run into, try to solve but don’t. Sometimes Googling it does supply an answer, though.

Ah Betty yes I've tried googling it and followed the instructions to the letter, they are relatively simple, well I thought they were😄. I will keep trying......

Carol

• Love 1

Apple ID is used to log in to iCloud. It should only be confusing if you had two Apple IDs. That is not to say that the differences between iCloud Drive and iCloud are not a bit confusing but they seem to have made that simpler now. It’s all there on the Apple website and in the Big Sur user manual. 

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Apple ID is used to log in to iCloud. It should only be confusing if you had two Apple IDs. That is not to say that the differences between iCloud Drive and iCloud are not a bit confusing but they seem to have made that simpler now. It’s all there on the Apple website and in the Big Sur user manual. 

Hi, yes I have an Apple ID and iCloud ID which was confusing things, but I have sorted it now - hopefully😃  Normal service resumes......

Carol