Distro Licence to deselected country

I have just had a licence come in with a commission split (40/30/30) that looks like a distro licence in Brazil. I have deselected Brazil among many others on my Distribution list, awaiting what Al have to say. Anybody else had this and what was the outcome.

Cheers in Advance. Andy.

21 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

I have just had a licence come in with a commission split (40/30/30) that looks like a distro licence in Brazil. I have deselected Brazil among many others on my Distribution list, awaiting what Al have to say. Anybody else had this and what was the outcome.

Cheers in Advance. Andy.

i would be curious what section of the contract they will use to justify it.  I do not see where they are allowed to licence an image for any period after you opt out of a region, and since they have stated they consider "date of sale" to be the date they report it, not when it was downloaded, this appears to not fit with your election.

When did you opt out?

If it was downloaded a few months ago it could already have been used before you opted out. Once it has been reported to Alamy they have no choice but to invoice it. 

If my crumbly memory serves months and months ago. Just read a very small grey print on the "opt in/opt out" page. "You can add territories at any time, but you can only deselect territories in April."

We shall see, updates to follow.

Andy.

14 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

If my crumbly memory serves months and months ago. Just read a very small grey print on the "opt in/opt out" page. "You can add territories at any time, but you can only deselect territories in April."

Andy.

I have asked Alamy to confirm when I last updated my distribution deselect list as I can't find the dates anywhere on my own settings etc.

35 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Andy.

When you can't unselect the option is not present.  They only open it in April normally.  They did however reopen the opt-out due to the contract change, and there is no note, nor contractual clause that the effect is not immediate.  So if you were able to remove the blue checkmark you would be out, and any sales from that day should not be allowed, so it appears this would be an invalid licence if it is Sale dated today. 

Thanks for that all I know is those countries are unselected so that would fit. I have just tried unselecting another country and you can remove the tick, also the "update" box changes to be used as well.

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Thanks for that all I know is those countries are unselected so that would fit. I have just tried unselecting another country and you can remove the tick, also the "update" box changes to be used as well.

Actually this is likely a good reminder.  If someone wants to opt out and haven't done yet, do it now.  I assume after Friday it will not be possible again until next April. 

How about this?

I opted out of distributor sales on 1st June. On 2nd June I received an email from Alamy to say they had been contacted by one of their distributors in UAE to say they have a distribution sale for one of my images.

However, as my images are not available in this territory through the distribution scheme, the distributor had asked if I could allow them to make this one off sale?

I asked how much the sale would be worth to me but received no reply. I thought nothing more of it but was a bit surprised to see the sale come through a couple of days ago. Have asked Alamy to explain.

Edited by Dave Richards
changed text

Looking back through my emails I queried a sale to Slovenia several months after we had opted out. In Sept 2019 Alamy said ‘We’ve passed this over to our distribution team to look into and we’ll let you know when we have further information.’

I don’t think I have had a reply yet…..

I have a sneaking suspicion that this deselect thing is going to be something Alamy  just pay lip service to. If a licence is contested by a contributor they just let the emails gather dust untill the annoying person goes away.🤬

if the licence was done, and Alamy claims it can not be reverse, they shouldn't charge you 70% commission, since the contract only allows such commission if you are part of the scheme, and you are not at TIME OF Sale, which Alamy defines as "date transaction is reported".  Alamy should only charge 50%/60%  Exclusive/Non-exclusive as per the contract.  The contract clearly states that this is the commission. 

Received today. 

"Following on from your previous email, the licence for P6BRWT was made through our distribution scheme, and the image was originally downloaded in February this year.

I will check with our IT team what date you opted out of Brazil for distribution."

The sage continues.

Andy.

4 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Received today. 

"Following on from your previous email, the licence for P6BRWT was made through our distribution scheme, and the image was originally downloaded in February this year.

I will check with our IT team what date you opted out of Brazil for distribution."

The sage continues.

Andy.

So now we have an Alamy representative stating the the Download date is the date of sales, this is interesting and noted for future (not that future) references.

Sorry Alamy but it can't be both ways

Just had this reply, it would appear my memory was out by a month. "We’ve checked and you opted into some countries in May, however you would have only been able to opt out of Brazil in April. Because the image was downloaded before you made the change, we have to honour the sale. I can confirm that you are opted out of that territory, so no new customer can download your images in Brazil."

Andy.

26 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Just had this reply, it would appear my memory was out by a month. "We’ve checked and you opted into some countries in May, however you would have only been able to opt out of Brazil in April. Because the image was downloaded before you made the change, we have to honour the sale. I can confirm that you are opted out of that territory, so no new customer can download your images in Brazil."

Andy.

so they confirmed that this is a February sale, not a July sale?  (keep this information for your record, may be useful next week, Alamy WILL back date sales)

also the opt out info is wrong, They reopened op out due to the contract change, you were able to opt out in May. 

Edited by meanderingemu