What is the relationship between Adobe and Redbubble?

I got this email :

Adobe has recently announced they experienced a serious breach in the security of their site.

Our security team has since checked a list of millions of compromised Adobe accounts and cross referenced it with our records and we noticed that the email address you have used to register a Redbubble account was on that list of exposed Adobe accounts.

As it is common for people to re-use the same password on many different websites, we thought that many Redbubble users might be using the same details on Redbubble.

While Redbubble itself has not been compromised.......

How is Redbubble checking Adobe accounts?

I haven't had any communication from Adobe over this.

Edit:

On second thoughts I'm pretty sure it isn't from Redbubble. The links they give for changing passwords link to sites away from Redredbubble and Adobe.

No, it is from Redbubble . . . the resetting password site is kosher. I've changed my passwords, nice and easy, and the changed password is now the password on the RedBubble site proper (I thought I'd just double-check after John's post :-) ). Not sure how they got access to Adobe's list though, but taking it at face value, they cross-referenced the list with e-mail addresses on their database and contacted all subscribers who scored a match.

I appreciated the heads up from RB to be honest.

dd

I'm taking that with face value as well, I am not a user of red bubble. are you saying that adobe is shareing clients email addresses with another company?

I'm not saying they did, they are. I thought that's what I wrote . . . I even wondered how they got access to Adobe's list.

dd

The list was published online so it's possible Redbubble took a copy and ran a crosscheck against it's list of email addresses to find matches. I don't think Adobe would share unless you agreed to it in the T&Cs

in the uk there is a "data protection act" if they want to share your email address and other addresses, as in this case they have to ask you to give your consent/permission, since they are a third party company.

What? Hackers breaking the law?

dd

What is the relationship between Adobe and Redbubble?

I got this email :

Adobe has recently announced they experienced a serious breach in the security of their site.

Our security team has since checked a list of millions of compromised Adobe accounts and cross referenced it with our records and we noticed that the email address you have used to register a Redbubble account was on that list of exposed Adobe accounts.

As it is common for people to re-use the same password on many different websites, we thought that many Redbubble users might be using the same details on Redbubble.

While Redbubble itself has not been compromised.......

How is Redbubble checking Adobe accounts?

I haven't had any communication from Adobe over this.

Edit:

On second thoughts I'm pretty sure it isn't from Redbubble. The links they give for changing passwords link to sites away from Redredbubble and Adobe.

No, it is from Redbubble . . . the resetting password site is kosher. I've changed my passwords, nice and easy, and the changed password is now the password on the RedBubble site proper (I thought I'd just double-check after John's post :-) ). Not sure how they got access to Adobe's list though, but taking it at face value, they cross-referenced the list with e-mail addresses on their database and contacted all subscribers who scored a match.

I appreciated the heads up from RB to be honest.

dd

I'm taking that with face value as well, I am not a user of red bubble. are you saying that adobe is shareing clients email addresses with another company?

I'm not saying they did, they are. I thought that's what I wrote . . . I even wondered how they got access to Adobe's list.

dd

The list was published online so it's possible Redbubble took a copy and ran a crosscheck against it's list of email addresses to find matches. I don't think Adobe would share unless you agreed to it in the T&Cs

in the uk there is a "data protection act" if they want to share your email address and other addresses, as in this case they have to ask you to give your consent/permission, since they are a third party company.

What? Hackers breaking the law?

dd

I thought adobe gave the other companies the list? I might be confused now... I hate being ill

Patriotic Alien said:

"I thought adobe gave the other companies the list? I might be confused now... I hate being ill"

dd replied:

I hate being ill too . . . and ill-informed :-)

I don't think anyone said that Adobe did that, but many in this thread jumped to that conclusion. It was the hackers who published the list afaik.

dd

Patriotic Alien said:

"I thought adobe gave the other companies the list? I might be confused now... I hate being ill"

dd replied:

I don't think anyone said that Adobe did that, but many in this thread jumped to that conclusion. It was the hackers who published the list afaik.

dd

Have some green love hahaha

Patriotic Alien said:

dd replied:

dd

That's because RedBubble did not explain what they were doing. The whole thing looked like classic phishing.

Patriotic Alien said:

dd replied:

dd

That's because RedBubble did not explain what they were doing. The whole thing looked like classic phishing.

John, you're right, it did look a little like phishing, but the links did go to a redbubble site that was easily verified . . . but you are wise to question and look and be sceptical. If everyone was so, phishing and all the other online scams would disappear very quickly.

dd

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my first email from Adobe on this subject, today, 6 December, that my information on their server had been compromised.

I'm not a CC subscriber but I did purchase CS6 from from their a year ago. I wonder what took them so long.

I just received my first email from Adobe on this subject, today, 6 December, that my information on their server had been compromised.

I'm not a CC subscriber but I did purchase CS6 from from their a year ago. I wonder what took them so long.

it's something like 150 million users who have been affected, but only now is adobe recognizing that... last time i googled it 

Archived