Is there something more I should do?

PatsyCollins

Question

I uploaded my three 'test' photos. They passed QC and I added a caption, keywords etc yesterday. They show as 'on sale' in my image manager page, and I can find them if I search the site as a customer, but on my dashboard it shows zero on sale. Have I missed some important step, or does it just take a bit of time for different parts of the site to catch up with each other?

11 answers to this question

1 minute ago, PatsyCollins said:

Thanks. I'll try to be patient!

Patience is certainly a virtue in this business 🙃 And particularly with Alamy; it can take a few months sometimes for sales to be reported...

On 26/06/2021 at 10:31, Steve F said:

Patience is certainly a virtue in this business 🙃 And particularly with Alamy; it can take a few months sometimes for sales to be reported...

Oh gosh! 

My first 3 photos are now properly on sale. They have 'low discoverability' but I think that just means I don't have loads of keywords. I put all the sensible ones I could think of. Some images are just going to have more natural keywords than others, aren't they? 

52 minutes ago, PatsyCollins said:

Oh gosh! 

My first 3 photos are now properly on sale. They have 'low discoverability' but I think that just means I don't have loads of keywords. I put all the sensible ones I could think of. Some images are just going to have more natural keywords than others, aren't they? 

You are right. I don't know why Alamy hides this blog but it is very useful.... https://www.alamy.com/blog/captions-and-tags

Paulette

1 hour ago, PatsyCollins said:

Oh gosh! 

as an indication less than 5% of my portfolio is "good discoverability" , just ignore as long as you get out of Red "not on sale".

if you want to check that it looks good, do a search.  For example, your are in top row searching for "Southsea rose garden", so your discoverability seems fine.  Now you need to find clients that want to discover that, that's the next step. 

I rarely get much above 30 tags nowadays. Sometimes not even 20. Too many marginally relevant tags supposedly harms your rank. It also hinders adding  tags to batches of images- if one image goes above 50 it can be difficult to add tags to any of them.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I rarely get much above 30 tags nowadays. Sometimes not even 20. Too many marginally relevant tags supposedly harms your rank. It also hinders adding  tags to batches of images- if one image goes above 50 it can be difficult to add tags to any of them.

Thanks. You've reassured me that I'm right to just use the appropriate tags and not worry too much about how many there are.