Figuring out my number of Alamy images over time etc

Bill Kuta

Question

I'm trying to collect maximum information about my time at Alamy, and want to figure out approximately how many images I had up on a given date. I know I could go through all my submissions and copy the dates and numbers of images into a spreadsheet, but I don't care to do that for 277 subs (yes, I know, many contribs have way more). It's going to be approximate anyway, since I don't know of a way to account for deletions I have done.

I did the "download your data," so I have a list of my images by Alamy reference number, which puts them in submission order, but does not have submission date.

Does anyone have a list of when the various Alamy reference number initial characters were applied? That would be close enough for my purposes.

Or is there a way to download submission data? I can copy the text in the list of submissions, but don't see how to format it out into columns in a spreadsheet.

Edited by Bill Kuta

8 answers to this question

I compiled this list a while ago, and kept it current up to W. I stopped after six digits.

Additionally I can tell you from rejections that Nov 06 was AW and Dec 06 A0 (zero).

B- 2009?-11

C-spring 2011- Nov 2012

D- to Apr '14

E- to Aug '15

F- to Apr '16

G- to Sep  16

H- to Mar  17

J- to 21/8/17

K- to Jan  18

I,L omitted

M- to May/Jun '18

P- to Oct 18

R- to Mar 19

S- Stockimo

T- to Jun 19

U,V omitted

W- to Sep 19

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

Thanks!  I went through my submissions prior to your list. I noted the first two characters of the Alamy ref numbers, but as you can see in the list, the first two characters (and therefore the Alamy reference numbers) do not exactly maintain chronological order, at least in the A's.

AK - Apr 2004
AP - May 2004
AS - Jun 2004
AY - Jul 2004
A1 - Aug 2004
A5 - Sep 2004
A8 - Oct 2004
A1 - Mar 2005
A6 - May 2005
AF - Aug 2005
AJ - Sep 2005
AK - Oct 2005
AR - Nov 2005
AA - May 2006
AB - Jun 2006
AD - Jul 2006
AG - Aug 2006
AJ - Sep 2006
AP - Oct 2006
A2 - Jan 2007
A4 - Mar 2007
AC - Jul 2007
AT - Feb 2008
AY - Apr 2008
B1 - Jun 2008
B3 - Sep 2008
B4 - Oct 2008
B5 - Oct 2008
B7 - Jan 2009
B8 - Feb 2009

Edited by Bill Kuta

If you go to AIM and select the submissions of a whole year by clicking on the last submission and then going down while holding the shift key and clicking on the first submission of that year, AIM will do the accounting and display the total of submissions and the total of the images in that year.

wim

Hmmm...cool trick, but it only worked on the first year I tried, and not thereafter.

Edit:  Ah, never mind--looking in the wrong place. Cool trick!

Edit 2: But it also counts the failed images, so I'll subtract those out (had a couple of bad spells before I realized what a dust hog my Canon 5D was! But no fails since 2009).

Edited by Bill Kuta

7 hours ago, Bill Kuta said:

Hmmm...cool trick, but it only worked on the first year I tried, and not thereafter.

Edit:  Ah, never mind--looking in the wrong place. Cool trick!

Edit 2: But it also counts the failed images, so I'll subtract those out (had a couple of bad spells before I realized what a dust hog my Canon 5D was! But no fails since 2009).

Go to the top and select "Passed" images only. You need to open "Quality control" tab then click on "Passed".  AIM only shows all the passed submissions.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

Actually, I found it interesting to see how many fails I had. In one year when my Canon 5D dust collection came to fruition, I had more fails than passes. But as I said, no fails since 2009.

Putting it all together in a spreadsheet by year, along with number of sales and gross revenue.

Edited by Bill Kuta

On 11/06/2021 at 09:28, Allan Bell said:

Go to the top and select "Passed" images only. You need to open "Quality control" tab then click on "Passed".  AIM only shows all the passed submissions.

Allan

Had the same problem when I had a 5D.II

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

On 11/06/2021 at 02:06, Bill Kuta said:

My 5D used to be known as the “dust magnet”. It was really atrocious.  Later models were not much better: it seems to have taken a very long time for Canon to have got to grips with this problem.  My latest mirrorless iterations (M6II and R5) do seem to have improved a lot, however - maybe it was that mirror creating all those air currents that was the problem, but I have scarcely ever found a dust spot on my first DSLR which was the D60. 

Graham