Luminar AI?

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Anyone using this and is it worth buying? Curious…

I have Luminar 4 which I purchased specifically for the sky replacement, which of course photoshop has now come out with.  It also does offer adding objects into the image as well.  The scaling of sky and objects is better than PS.  The only difference I can notice with Luminar AI and Luminar 4 is the auto reflection, which is great but I don't do enough landscapes with water to make it worth it's money.  I also was very ticked that instead of a small upgrade fee, they wanted almost the full whack for me to upgrade from Luminar 4 to Luminar AI.

Jill

Edited by Jill Morgan

I got what I was led to believe was free Luminar 4 when I bought my expensive Mac. Then I got a pop up that my trial was soon coming to an end. Ticked me off. I only had a chance to try it for a short time because I was having trouble trying to install faulty memory.

Happy with your input, people. I don’t think I’ll get it.

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

I have Luminar 4 which I purchased specifically for the sky replacement, which of course photoshop has now come out with.  It also does offer adding objects into the image as well.  The scaling of sky and objects is better than PS.  The only difference I can notice with Luminar AI and Luminar 4 is the auto reflection, which is great but I don't do enough landscapes with water to make it worth it's money.  I also was very ticked that instead of a small upgrade fee, they wanted almost the full whack for me to upgrade from Luminar 4 to Luminar AI.

Jill

I think the following lifted from their website will explain the price.

"Skylum is keen to emphasize that Luminar AI is NOT an upgrade or sequel to Luminar 4 – it’s a completely new photo editor, totally independent or previous editions. In this way, you can’t move your L4 catalogue directly to AI."

Allan

4 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

"Skylum is keen to emphasize that Luminar AI is NOT an upgrade or sequel to Luminar 4 – it’s a completely new photo editor, totally independent or previous editions. In this way, you can’t move your L4 catalogue directly to AI."

Allan

Yes, I spent probably a good half hour last evening watching a video about Luminar AI, how it was an entirely separate program, then one about the new improvements to the Nik suite, which is in Silver efex and one other, but not the color efex I use. Bah, humbug.

2 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I know it is not an upgrade, but I did download the trial and the only difference I found was the auto reflection.  According to https://bwillcreative.com/luminar-ai-vs-luminar-4-comparison/ Luminar AI is aimed at beginners and Luminar 4 offers more for those with experience editing. But since they only put the auto reflection in Luminar AI, I somehow feel cheated as it actually offers less than Luminar 4 unless it's the first time you are using photo editing software.  I think Luminar 4 users should have been offered a decent discount to buy it.

Full whack for a programme that has less overall except for being a little more user friendly and one new tool, is to me crappy. I'd like the auto reflection, but not paying all that to get it.  Maybe down the road this will be added as a paid upgrade for Luminar 4.

Jill

2 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

I know it is not an upgrade, but I did download the trial and the only difference I found was the auto reflection.  According to https://bwillcreative.com/luminar-ai-vs-luminar-4-comparison/ Luminar AI is aimed at beginners and Luminar 4 offers more for those with experience editing. But since they only put the auto reflection in Luminar AI, I somehow feel cheated as it actually offers less than Luminar 4 unless it's the first time you are using photo editing software.  I think Luminar 4 users should have been offered a decent discount to buy it.

Full whack for a programme that has less overall except for being a little more user friendly and one new tool, is to me crappy. I'd like the auto reflection, but not paying all that to get it.  Maybe down the road this will be added as a paid upgrade for Luminar 4.

Jill

I see. It could be a good investment for a first timer who has not previously bought into Skylum Luminar.

Allan

3 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Jill

Shame on you putting that link out there!!! I enjoyed the comparison. I have LR, so I don’t think I need Luminar 4. But I can see for quick and dirty work, A1 would be useful. I bought it, and found a coupon for $10 off.

Jill, you made me spend money. 😉😉 just after I said I wouldn’t. Words are made to be eaten.

58 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Shame on you putting that link out there!!! I enjoyed the comparison. I have LR, so I don’t think I need Luminar 4. But I can see for quick and dirty work, A1 would be useful. I bought it, and found a coupon for $10 off.

Jill, you made me spend money. 😉😉 just after I said I wouldn’t. Words are made to be eaten.

It's great software.  The one thing, when doing sky replacement in Luminar, you can't see your sky choices.  So I copy the sky folder on to my desktop and just open it so I can see which I'm choosing.

Jill

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use Luminar AI only if I cannot get the look I want in Lightroom. there is a video comparison that suggests that Ai and 4 are very different from each other for processing. So I got 4 and after working with it for a week and looking more in  depth at AI found AI offers all that 4 does (processing wise), it's just not in your face but it is there. Contacted 4 to say wanted my money back and why as I intended to get Ai at some point and they kindly offered to simply transfer my license to Ai. So got it at a bargain price and very happy with it. I don't use it much but when i do I have been it has been great. Jim Nix does some great videos looking at every aspect of Ai and is an excellent to gauge if you need it or not and how to use it once you got it. 

On 04/06/2021 at 16:19, Jill Morgan said:

It's great software.  The one thing, when doing sky replacement in Luminar, you can't see your sky choices.  So I copy the sky folder on to my desktop and just open it so I can see which I'm choosing.

Jill

You can see the sky choices in A1. They fixed that, obviously.