Christian symbol

This was on an altar in a Suffolk church. It caught my eye but apart from 'Christian' 'brass' 'design' 'religious' 'symbols'  etc I don't know what it is.

Any suggestions please?

I0000VBWYKFF8hkg.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

What kind of church was it, and what part of the altar was it on?  It doesn't look like any Anglican symbol I know, but does look Buddhist.

If that's glass behind the brass, it may be a reliquary.

Suggested keywords:  decorative, lattice

Edited by Hanna_Fate

Thanks Hannah - excellent keyword suggestions.

It'a church of England village parish church in north Suffolk.

I think it's a solid cube with the brass face attached to this one side

There are two pictures here showing two altars.  They both have similar objects - one appears to be a 'triple'.  A bit difficult to see but if you take screenshots and enlarge the image you get a clearer picture.

They both have large crosses stood on top of them so I think they are bases or stands for the crosses.

Edited by Vincent Lowe

Since the box is on an altar, it could be a tabernacle (where the consecrated bread or eucharistic bread  - believed to be a form of Jesus Christ - is kept), in which case the front is a door to the box; but there should be a keyhole in it so the box can be locked and unlocked.

The bronze square borders an equilateral cross, a symbol of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

The horizontal line of the cross, as Radim has pointed out, is a fish symbol. The greek word for fish is ixthus ( five letters: i x th u s), which in early christianity was a symbol for Jesus (i) Christ x) son(u) god(th) saviour(s)

The sort of x shape, intertwined with the cross, might be a stylised form of the greek letter chi (spelled x), which is the first letter of the greek word for Christ.

• Love 1