Jump to content

Recommended Posts

It has only been possible to buy one secondhand for some time. I was interested in that model and considered getting one in 2019 but my regular supplier could not get a new one for me. The only reason I wanted that model is it had the in body stabilisation and was a lot cheaper than the A6600 model.

 

I would rather buy new and the price of the A6600 is coming down with Sony money back scheme in operation which includes the 6600 so may contact my supplier to see if he will do a deal and reduce the price even more.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

It has only been possible to buy one secondhand for some time. I was interested in that model and considered getting one in 2019 but my regular supplier could not get a new one for me. The only reason I wanted that model is it had the in body stabilisation and was a lot cheaper than the A6600 model.

 

I would rather buy new and the price of the A6600 is coming down with Sony money back scheme in operation which includes the 6600 so may contact my supplier to see if he will do a deal and reduce the price even more.

 

Allan

 

It was 2017 when I purchased mine from Wex Photographic just over £1,200 for the body only, I can honestly say that it was a great buy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that the a6500 was probably too expensive for most people. I use the a6000, which shares the same sensor as far as I know, and it costs a fraction of what the a6500 does. It also seems to have most of the same features, except for the in-camera stabilization, which must be a real boon for those using manual lenses. I guess the a6500 has a lot to offer those who shoot video as well. Sony also probably wants customers to switch to its pricier full-frame cameras.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I think that the a6500 was probably too expensive for most people. I use the a6000, which shares the same sensor as far as I know, and it costs a fraction of what the a6500 does. It also seems to have most of the same features, except for the in-camera stabilization, which must be a real boon for those using manual lenses. I guess the a6500 has a lot to offer those who shoot video as well. Sony also probably wants customers to switch to its pricier full-frame cameras.

 

I also use the A6000 and agree it is a great camera. At the moment I have the 18 - 135 lens on it and it is great as a walk about tool. Carry it all day long.

 

What I would like to do is get the A6600 and fit that lens to it then fit a 10-18 lens(which I have to get yet as well) on the 6000. Fully kitted for all walk about and lightweight.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

I also use the A6000 and agree it is a great camera. At the moment I have the 18 - 135 lens on it and it is great as a walk about tool. Carry it all day long.

 

What I would like to do is get the A6600 and fit that lens to it then fit a 10-18 lens(which I have to get yet as well) on the 6000. Fully kitted for all walk about and lightweight.

 

Allan

 

 

What would the advantages of the a6600 be over the a6000 for the type of photography that you do? The a6600 costs about $2400 CAN here with the 18-135 lens. That's an awful lot of PU sales. I paid about $500 CAN (on sale) for my a6000, and I can't think of anything that it's missing for my purposes.

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

And I'm another happy member of the Sony a6000 club. The lenses I use have IS, all except the Sigma 56mm f1.4. 

 

I have a Samyang 12mm manual lens that I use fairly often. The lack of in-camera IS hasn't been a problem with that particular lens. I also have a couple of old Minolta MD manual lenses (28mm and 50mm) that I don't use much. They would benefit from in-camera IS. The Sony lenses that I use most often all have IS, so I couldn't see shelling out all that extra money for the a6600. It does have weather-sealing, though, which is a worthwhile feature. Not sure how much I would use the touch screen and other extra goodies.

 

Here's a detailed comparison of the two cameras.

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know you are making me wonder (think). The lenses I am using have OSS including the one I am thinking of getting.  So why should I need the IBS system?

 

The only thing I can think of is the IBS is superior to the OSS, or so I have heard/seen/read somewhere. IBS is supposed to give at least two more stops than OSS.

 

Continue discussion please.

 

Allan

 

BTW Second hand A6500s are going for £774 (like new) so that could be an alternative. I know that Sony were selling the A6500 at a higher price than the A6600 for a time.

 

ITMA

 

Edited by Allan Bell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

You know you are making me wonder (think). The lenses I am using have OSS including the one I am thinking of getting.  So why should I need the IBS system?

 

The only thing I can think of is the IBS is superior to the OSS, or so I have heard/seen/read somewhere. IBS is supposed to give at least two more stops than OSS.

 

Continue discussion please.

 

Allan

 

BTW Second hand A6500s are going for £774 (like new) so that could be an alternative. I know that Sony were selling the A6500 at a higher price than the A6600 for a time.

 

ITMA

 

 

 

My experience with an older Sony DSLR that I used to own is that in-camera IS (IBS) is more effective than OSS, especially with longer lenses. Still, it's a big price to pay. Looking for second-hand deals sounds like a good idea. There's a lot of stuff out there (around Vancouver anyway) with everyone constantly "upgrading" or ditching their cameras in favour of phones, which seem to satisfy most people's photo-snapping needs. I buy just about everything used now. The last two lenses that I bought second-hand looked like they were never taken out of the camera bag, and I paid less than half-price. The original Sony NEX-3 and 18-55 lenses that I purchased second-hand in 2012 still work fine. Did I mention that I'm cheap? 😁

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/05/2021 at 20:14, John Mitchell said:

Did I mention that I'm cheap? 😁

 

The way things are at the moment I am FREE.

 

Allan

 

Edited by Allan Bell
spelling error
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.