Hello, I need help with what I'm actually earning

alwac

Question

Hello, I am new to Alamy. I only made a few sales, I don't quite understand the count of these sales:
Balance carried forward: $ 5.54
Total sales: $ 34.08
Commission / fees: - $ 21.38
Total payments to you: 0.00 USD
Balance carried forward: $ 18.24
Cleared balance: $ 17.20
Next payment date: Not due

in the end what do i earn above

because when I go to the main page of my account it marks me:
Current cleared balance: $ 17

when I am told that I have sold 5 photos for $ 45

that worries me.
Thank you for your answers

8 hours ago, thijsdegraaf said:

My God,
What an arrogant answer. I thought this forum was there to help people and not kick the floor.
If this is the mentality on this forum I will not come here anymore. It must be frustrating for you guys to listen and answer my stupid questions, explanations.

Thijs,

"Arrogant?"  Not in anyway.  What I wrote was really simple.

I do understand that many have not been in the photo agency / library business for very long, but if anyone is going

to try to be a communicator (producing images for publication or license) they need to know some basic things about

communications and the business. 

I also do understand that English is not the first or even second language for many contributors to Alamy.

I will add that over the last 40 years I have contributed to a number agencies around the globe and Alamy is the 

most straight forward in terms of communicating with contributors, reporting licenses, and making payments to

contributors, when they are due.

Keep in mind that the last year has been very difficult and from what I have experienced, Alamy has done an exceptional

job of maintaining Alamy.com and communicating with Alamy contributors.

Chuck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MizBrown said:

A lot of questions are repeats, which tends to mean that people who patiently answered the question two years ago may be finding the repetitions annoying. 

Alamy's reporting and payment processes never seemed unclear to me -- they take a commission and that's not unlike any other commission type agency from art galleries to literary agents.  They report the total they're billing the client, what they take out, and if sub-agencies/distributors take out their own cuts.  You get money credited to your balance when Alamy is paid and takes its deductions.  When the account balance (money owed you) is $50 or more, you get paid at the first of the upcoming month. 

Any agency that doesn't tell you what they billed the client and what percentage they're taking out and which only pays you your percentage of a sum you never see when they're paid leaves themselves a lot of financial wiggle room.   Also, the photographer knows that an image was invoiced but not paid for and can check with Alamy about possible collection efforts, or check on line to see if the image was used under an appropriate license. 

The contract pages says that in case of discrepancies between German language version and English, the English language version takes precedence.

I will come back for a moment, because it is not polite not to answer people who try to answer.
I know this. It wasn't a question from me either. I came to this topic through the search program, where the question was answered to someone else.
I am new to this forum, but I've been on other forums for years. I know how it works.
The percentage that is for Alamy is of course known to me. The way in which this was indicated on my Balance of account was not entirely clear to me. Well after I had read the topic. That's all. I thought it was nice to say thanks even though it was not my question. Not knowing that they react like that. I don't know that from other forums.
I seem to be criticizing Alamy, which is not the case at all. I just pointed out what could be confusing, because that wasn't clear to Steve.
But if I had known this, I wouldn't have said anything.
I speak German and English roughly equally well / badly. (Dutch)

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Thijs,

"Arrogant?"  Not in anyway.  What I wrote was really simple.

I do understand that many have not been in the photo agency / library business for very long, but if anyone is going

to try to be a communicator (producing images for publication or license) they need to know some basic things about

communications and the business. 

I also do understand that English is not the first or even second language for many contributors to Alamy.

I will add that over the last 40 years I have contributed to a number agencies around the globe and Alamy is the 

most straight forward in terms of communicating with contributors, reporting licenses, and making payments to

contributors, when they are due.

Keep in mind that the last year has been very difficult and from what I have experienced, Alamy has done an exceptional

job of maintaining Alamy.com and communicating with Alamy contributors.

Chuck

My God,
I can not believe that people do not read and understand the Terms of a library before they contribute thousands of images.
I would also hope that Alamy's terms are available in more than just English?

If anyone reads this on a question. Then that is not incentive to ever ask something on this forum again if you are new here Charles. I thought it was quite insulting.

Mainly because I didn't ask anything, just trying to thank someone nicely. See my answer to MizBrown.
Something was unclear to me, it ended up in the topic via the search engine, where it was explained to someone else, gave a thank you and explained to Steve what probably caused the confusion.

Then when you get these kinds of answers, next time you think twice before asking anything.

Which bothered me more was

• That no one else said anything about it.
  • That I was told that was not allowed to respond because of the good atmosphere on the forum.

Then I do not belong on this forum. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, thijsdegraaf said:

• That I was told that was not allowed to respond because of the good atmosphere on the forum.

Hi Thijs,

You can of course respond, this is not the point I was trying to make, I was just saying that generally there's a good atmosphere here, regardless. I also meant that I don't like to get involved in disputes between other members, you can sort it out yourselves. I spend enough time trying to help generally, and I just don't think it's worth getting involved in other people's bun fights.

Speaking of which, I'm ducking out of this conversation now. Good luck!

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Hi Thijs,

You can of course respond, this is not the point I was trying to make, I was just saying that generally there's a good atmosphere here, regardless. I also meant that I don't like to get involved in disputes between other members, you can sort it out yourselves. I spend enough time trying to help generally, and I just don't think it's worth getting involved in other people's bun fights.

Speaking of which, I'm ducking out of this conversation now. Good luck!

My first answer was to Charles Steve. I expected an answer from him at the time, but I got an answer from you.
Then I had to explain to everyone that I did not criticize Alamy.
Anyway, it has been enough. I have given my opinion and am now leaving the forum. Then you have peace again.

2 hours ago, thijsdegraaf said:

My God,
I can not believe that people do not read and understand the Terms of a library before they contribute thousands of images.

If anyone reads this on a question. Then that is not incentive to ever ask something on this forum again if you are new here Charles. I thought it was quite insulting.

Mainly because I didn't ask anything, just trying to thank someone nicely. See my answer to MizBrown.
Something was unclear to me, it ended up in the topic via the search engine, where it was explained to someone else, gave a thank you and explained to Steve what probably caused the confusion.

Then when you get these kinds of answers, next time you think twice before asking anything.

Thijs,

Nothing that I wrote was "insulting"  I was simply stating something that has annoyed me for a long time.  People on this forum post questions before

they really search or ask the proper people for answers.  I had nothing against you when I responded and I still have nothing against you now.  As I have

said this year has been difficult, I know it has been hard for the people at Alamy, I know because I communicate with them.  Just this year I have left (pulled

my images) from a library, one of the best known, that I have had a working relationship with for more than twenty years, because they did not communicate

with me, lied about money owed to me.  I am now in the process of moving those images onto Alamy.  I started communicating with Alamy in 2003 and

began contributing in 2004 or 05.  I had a lot of questions and Alamy answered them.  I did not ask the forum, I asked Alamy.  My relationship with Alamy

has not been perfect, we had a HUGE problem over the percentage split and I was close to pulling everything that I had on Alamy if they could not reach

agreement, they did and I as well as a number of other contributors stayed and, speaking only for myself, are happy to continue contributing to Alamy.

I will also say that after contributing to most of the major agencies (Photo Agencies) around the world, many are gone in 2021, Alamy is the only agency or 

library that I have only once in 16 years had to ask a question about "their accounting" and Alamy quickly answered my question and resolved my issue.

In 16 years, over 700 licenses, I have always received the monies owed to me by Alamy in a very timely manner. 

PS MizBrown is much more patient than I am.

Chuck

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2

55 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Thijs,

Nothing that I wrote was "insulting"  I was simply stating something that has annoyed me for a long time.  People on this forum post questions before

they really search or ask the proper people for answers.  I had nothing against you when I responded and I still have nothing against you now.  As I have

said this year has been difficult, I know it has been hard for the people at Alamy, I know because I communicate with them.  Just this year I have left (pulled

my images) from a library, one of the best known, that I have had a working relationship with for more than twenty years, because they did not communicate

with me, lied about money owed to me.  I am now in the process of moving those images onto Alamy.  I started communicating with Alamy in 2003 and

began contributing in 2004 or 05.  I had a lot of questions and Alamy answered them.  I did not ask the forum, I asked Alamy.  My relationship with Alamy

has not been perfect, we had a HUGE problem over the percentage split and I was close to pulling everything that I had on Alamy if they could not reach

agreement, they did and I as well as a number of other contributors stayed and, speaking only for myself, are happy to continue contributing to Alamy.

I will also say that after contributing to most of the major agencies (Photo Agencies) around the world, many are gone in 2021, Alamy is the only agency or 

library that I have only once in 16 years had to ask a question about "their accounting" and Alamy quickly answered my question and resolved my issue.

In 16 years, over 700 licenses, I have always received the monies owed to me by Alamy in a very timely manner. 

PS MizBrown is much more patient than I am.

Chuck

Isn't this section  'Community Support : Ask the forum' ? 

Seems the most appropriate place for people to ask the forum under a section that says 'ask the forum' 

• Love 1
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Martin L said:

Isn't this section  'Community Support : Ask the forum' ? 

Seems the most appropriate place for people to ask the forum under a section that says 'ask the forum' 

Martin,

If I have a serious question, I would not post of ask it here.  I would ask the people who can answer my question.

Really simple.  

I have been on the  Forum for years and I can tell you that many who answer do not know what they are talking about.

I also understand the reason that Alamy wants people to ask on the forum and to avoid having to answer questions from

everyone.  It is also true, in my opinion, that most questions that have been asked are already answered on Alamy's Terms

and conditions that are published.

Chuck

• Dislike 2

5 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Martin,

If I have a serious question, I would not post of ask it here.  I would ask the people who can answer my question.

Really simple.  

I have been on the  Forum for years and I can tell you that many who answer do not know what they are talking about.

I also understand the reason that Alamy wants people to ask on the forum and to avoid having to answer questions from

everyone.  It is also true, in my opinion, that most questions that have been asked are already answered on Alamy's Terms

and conditions that are published.

Chuck

Maybe we can request Alamy to change the title to 'Ask the Forum Chuck'?

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, thijsdegraaf said:

It may now be evident why reading on. Some actions are even more futile than peeing into the wind.  

You are of course welcome on the forum, a place where the vast majority of people are friendly and where we share knowledge and expertise freely and happily on a wide range of subjects not covered in Alamy's terms and conditions. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 2

My God, 

Charles

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2