Customers' search terms

So the search term is:

UK or Wales or England or Scotland or 'Northern Ireland' or Britain or British or 'United Kingdom' [FS]

[FS] is the key I think: he/she was looking for a big file. And probably a hero image.

The %20 is just the way one's browser reports a space. It has to do with the character encoding.

Now try this search for FS set to 70MB. I can see why someone would leave after 1 page.

There are are more stupid or funnier search terms like: foreign accent

or:

There is little evidence to suggest differences between male and female brains are caused by anything other than cultural factors.

Which is probably indeed just cut and paste like this one:

I'm looking for an image that "explains" the Ames room. The example I was given was shot from above showing the angles of the walls and how the ceili

OK one more:

Hello, My name is Mavel Cervantes and I work for Thomas P. Gohagan & Company in Chicago, IL (USA). I am emailing you requesting free high res images

All from the search box.

Yes, I collect those. 😂

The best so far is still the one that started my collection, though it's just a simple spelling mistake: John Denver plague.

(I am a fan of early JD.)

wim

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

my usual assumption for a search of 100 views, No zoom, is that client did not expect what they saw.  I wonder if Alamy actually analyses these, as it could lead to interesting results as to the way the Algorithm is applied.  

9 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

my usual assumption for a search of 100 views, No zoom, is that client did not expect what they saw.  I wonder if Alamy actually analyses these, as it could lead to interesting results as to the way the Algorithm is applied.  

Not a lot what the algorithm can do. It is however an opportunity for contributors to provide images people are looking for. Or to keyword their images in a certain way.

A good test is to try the same search phrase on the competition. The result is certainly not better. So I would say the algo is doing not all that bad here.

So let's hope the client didn't give up, but was smart enough to re-phrase his/her search.

wim

edit: badly

Edited by wiskerke
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

So the search term is:

UK or Wales or England or Scotland or 'Northern Ireland' or Britain or British or 'United Kingdom' [FS]

[FS] is the key I think: he/she was looking for a big file. And probably a hero image.

The %20 is just the way one's browser reports a space. It has to do with the character encoding.

Now try this search for FS set to 70MB. I can see why someone would leave after 1 page.

There are are more stupid or funnier search terms like: foreign accent

or:

There is little evidence to suggest differences between male and female brains are caused by anything other than cultural factors.

Which is probably indeed just cut and paste like this one:

I'm looking for an image that "explains" the Ames room. The example I was given was shot from above showing the angles of the walls and how the ceili

OK one more:

Hello, My name is Mavel Cervantes and I work for Thomas P. Gohagan & Company in Chicago, IL (USA). I am emailing you requesting free high res images

All from the search box.

Yes, I collect those. 😂

The best so far is still the one that started my collection, though it's just a simple spelling mistake: John Denver plague.

(I am a fan of early JD.)

wim

I often find the %20 results arising from the translation from search in the Other language Alamy sites. 

i often look at the 0 hits search, for inspiration.  Obviously many typos, but often also makes me go adjust KW to include some variations, but yeah the full texts ones are always fun. 

From yesterday

"2020 shopkeepers struggle to pump out their premises in the coleham district of the city as flood water remains high the river severn will peak later "

So this was an obvious Caption from an image.  In fact two images, that client had seen before, i wonder why the search i unable to find it,

16 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Not a lot what the algorithm can do. It is however an opportunity for contributors to provide images people are looking for. Or to keyword their images in a certain way.

A good test is to try the same search phrase on the competition. The result is certainly not better. So I would say the algo is doing not all that bad here.

So let's hope the client didn't give up, but was smart enough to re-phrase his/her search.

wim

edit: badly

not disagreeing, more curious as to Alamy's effort into trying to see why clients did not find what they were looking for.  Thought yes it is better here than elsewhere, KW and image spamming is still a major issue.  

8 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

I often find the %20 results arising from the translation from search in the Other language Alamy sites. 

Mmm, that's interesting. How have you determined that the searches are from outside the UK? Actual language used?

Yesterday I had 2 searches for the same term, one showing %20 for spaces and one just showing the spaces.

1. birmingham%20bullring%20tower

2. birmingham bullring tower

With a zoom on #2

Also had searches on

1. spring%20season

2. Camber%20Sands [WOP] &

3. amazon%20colors

48 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Mmm, that's interesting. How have you determined that the searches are from outside the UK? Actual language used?

Yesterday I had 2 searches for the same term, one showing %20 for spaces and one just showing the spaces.

1. birmingham%20bullring%20tower

2. birmingham bullring tower

With a zoom on #2

Also had searches on

1. spring%20season

2. Camber%20Sands [WOP] &

3. amazon%20colors

it's not exclusive, but quite often i noticed it on searches that included French and German terms, proper local spelling (eg. using of accents for France).  I also get it often on small peculiar searches of places in Japan, and other search that involved non-english countries Countries in search term. 

so again this may be circumstantial, but I found it curious.   

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Thanks 1