QC Quantity of Images

Thanks Wim,

I understand there is software available on some cameras that can show you an existing photo (on memory card) in the view window, which is superimposed on the

scene you are about to shoot. Providing your lens is the same, it permits perfect matches of before and after. Unfortunately I no longer have my original lens, nor that camera software, so held an iPad in one hand, showing the 'then' photo, and did my best to match up the scale/angle in the camera view-window for the 'now' version. And yes, I noticed those shooting position and angle differences on Sieger's photos too, especially the shot with the line of trees: they still looked impressive.

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

this subject came to mind this morning.  This is an image that is promoted by Alamy on their tweeter feed today... Note that i love the idea, but it seems to break Alamy's own rule, maybe Elizabeth can clarify what is the actual rule @Alamy

????

Could you give a link or something?

Or the image?

I am seeing this:

Festive Christmas wreaths hang on colourful doors of homes in Belgravia, London Credit: Guy Corbishley/Alamy https://t.co/3wxPexant0 pic.twitter.com/V8kJuTWjuQ

— Alamy News (@AlamyNews) December 15, 2020

That link is leading to: Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!

wim

edit: found it I think - see next post

Edited by wiskerke

3 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

????

Could you give a link or something?

Or the image?

I am seeing this:

Festive Christmas wreaths hang on colourful doors of homes in Belgravia, London Credit: Guy Corbishley/Alamy https://t.co/3wxPexant0 pic.twitter.com/V8kJuTWjuQ

— Alamy News (@AlamyNews) December 15, 2020

That link is leading to: Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!

wim

original images is in Live News feed.  does this work

https://www.alamy.com/news/newsresults.aspx#BHM=foo%3Dbar%26qt%3D%26pn%3D1%26ps%3D120%26aoa%3D1%26news%3D%26sports%3D%26entmt%3D%26Videos%3D%26bb%3D1%26md%3DOL11446296%26dt%3D%26gid%3D{0E6F8241-DD37-4C21-B563-B5BDFCED640E}%26destxml%3D%26imglst%3D%26orderby%3DDT%26newsseq%3D%26userid%3D{8083FECD-3680-4216-B1FC-2E5B1033261B}%26rand%3D1608042029095

2 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Perfect image.

Exactly what is needed. May it sell well.

wim

yes, actually similar idea last year from other contributor sold with selection of doors...  which i remembered, as i took note, until I saw the result of this thread...

Edited by meanderingemu

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Perfect image.

Exactly what is needed. May it sell well.

wim

and i just found someone who did the series of doors doing a new one this year, making it through as stock (not live news), so there is no consistency

@Alamy can you please clarify what the rule is for Composite of multiple images

Is the problem or solution one of cameras and lenses? I have a few compositors but as far as I understand it, all of the images within the image need to hve been taken with the same camera and lens otherwise the EXIF data won’t show which camera was used and it will fail QC. 

3 minutes ago, Sally said:

Is the problem or solution one of cameras and lenses? I have a few compositors but as far as I understand it, all of the images within the image need to hve been taken with the same camera and lens otherwise the EXIF data won’t show which camera was used and it will fail QC. 

PS a number of us have taken similar Edinburgh New Town doors photos for live news. But they need to fulfill the criteria of what I’ve said above to get through. 

Edited by Sally

3 hours ago, Sally said:

As reported above the statement from Alamy is they would fail

Thankfully, the Alamy QC team have now clearly stated their objection to photos that contain multiple 'images':-

"Unfortunately, we don’t accept these kinds of 'montage' images.
We'll likely fail images that feature more than one image or as you said side-by-side imagery, our decision has nothing to do with upload restrictions.
In regards to the "montage" images already online, we don’t check every image in a submission so it is possible that some problematic images slip through".

so there appears to be some inconsistency in the message and interpretation of rules.  I had seen you gorgeous doors, am glad they made it through, however this will lead to other people to do other montage, especially with the Alamy news team promoting one on social media again, so i think a clear position from @Alamywould be appreciated 

• Love 1

This shows that at times you cannot judge images on technical terms alone.

Or you can and then these doors an windows and Christmas ornaments are perfectly fine, because the right file size; free of CA; nice sharp all around and well exposed.

Yes these are composed images. When was this ever a problem? Some people seem to photograph people against a green backdrop and compose complete beaches or offices in. The horror! 😂. Some people even are rumored to make films that way. On planets and galaxies far away or with dinosaurs. With secret agents! With Roman charioteers! With superheroes! The utter horror!  😂😂.

There always was a very simple rule here on composites and edits: no artifacts. What an artifact is, whether it's noise; visual seams and borders; wrong colors or some other visual inconsistencies, that's pretty easy to determine for QC:

Simple rule number one: When in doubt throw it out.

Second simple rule: Most votes count.

For Live News: no edits that alter the content or the meaning.

I'm pretty sure this is how QC works.

wim

• Like 1

Everything Wim says and also ALAMY have to be very circumspect on how they decline images.  I can read an awfull lot into the nuances infered by the phrase "we don’t accept these kinds of 'montage' images." My italics. The execution of the declined picture and the accepted pictures are markedly different.