Copyright In Ireland

Christine M Baker

Question

20 answers to this question

Noel

I was looking at the opw.ie site and I came across a cost sheet for taking images of the inside of castles.  But the way is was written seemed to lean towards commercial film.

There is also a site called http://www.copyright-free-photos.org.uk/castles/   which allows for limited images.

I only shoot stills.

I  have started emailing all the Castles to get their input.  So far I have approval for Birr castle for the outside.

I am working on one castle that might get me full access to the castle except the owners areas. But i am waiting for the lockdown to ease up.

Then Ireland went back into lockdown so i have not had any further information.

Christine,

That 200 euro an hour fee would be for hiring the castle for a commercial shoot - I suspect that is not what you are planning to do.

You need to find out if the castle has a policy about allowing or not allowing photography. And if it does allow photography in general you might then want to ask about stock specifically.

The copyright of any photo you take is yours. Whether you are able to use it for stock ( in the hope of a commercial return) comes down to the policy of each castle owner since you will be on private property ( in most cases). 

• Thanks 1

Birr Castle is privately owned and you would obviously need to negotiate with the owners. OPW sites are in public ownership and nobody ever stopped me photographing on their sites. 

this is list of heritage sites in OPW ownership

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heritage_sites_(Republic_of_Ireland)

Edited by noelbennett
heritage list added

Just got this 

Dear Christine

That photography or video at national monument sites for purposes other than private use does require permission in advance

Regards

Jaki Jordan

Foreperson

OPW

Kilkenny Castle

Kilkenny City

Edited by Christine M Baker
Addition

There are dozens of images of Kilkenny Castle, including interiors, already on Alamy which were clearly taken on tourist visits. They are not property released so presumably they were taken without permission.

Whatever the enforceability of the conditions of entry may be, you don't need permission if you're outside the property in a public place.

Edited by spacecadet

Asking the question invites the official answer. It is much easier for the person put on the spot to play safe if you insist on putting them on the spot.

I walked to a  mock village that the Army has on Salisbury Plain for training in urban warfare. It was 'guarded' by one bored soldier in a little hut/guardroom. I went up to him and asked for permission to take photos which he said he could not give. He then went on to say that he would not be leaving his hut for the next hour, only had a limited view, and that there was a path going all round the site. 

As I walked all the way around and back into his sight my camera had been put away and we gave each other a wave. 

Copehill Down FIBUA village military training area, Fighting In Built Up Areas, Chitterne, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire, England, UK

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Asking the question invites the official answer. It is much easier for the person put on the spot to play safe if you insist on putting them on the spot.. 

I walked to a  mock village that the Army has on Salisbury Plain for training in urban warfare. It was 'guarded' by one bored soldier in a little hut/guardroom. I walked up to him and asked for permission to take photos which he said he could not give. He then went on to say that he would not be leaving his hut for the next hour, only had a limited view, and that there was a path going all round the site. 

As I walked all the way around and back into his sight my camera has been put away and we gave each other a wave. 

Copehill Down FIBUA village military training area, Fighting In Built Up Areas, Chitterne, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire, England, UK

😀Barristers never ask a question to which they do not already know the answer.

Stock photographers do not ask for permission to take pix if the answer might be "No".;)

14 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It's not too far from your story though.

Far enough. The soldier did not say 'No'. He said that he could not give permission. Big difference.

I don't take stock photos when it is clearly not allowed. Sometimes I might forget to ask 😜 Big difference. 

53 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Too many people imagine that we're going to make hundreds or thousands of dollars from individual photographs and want to get some of that for themselves.

I think that often it is much more simple.

If an employee is put on the spot and asked to make a decision the natural inclination is to play safe. 

11 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I think that often it is much more simple.

If an employee is put on the spot and asked to make a decision the natural inclination is to play safe. 

This was the owner of a small museum in Sebaco who told me that I was European and would be making hundreds of dollars of the things he'd found if he signed a release.